• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blew a belt this weekend

Vmax4

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 FXNytro MTX 162 SE with a 270 hp MCX Turbo and assorted goodies!
Blew a belt with about 2000 miles on it. First belt I have toasted ever, but this is also the first mountain sled I have ever owned. I didn't every burn the belt trying to get unstuck, I never left the parking break on, or anything else that would have eaten into it's expected life span. Just riding in deep powder alot this year.

Ca I expect this is going to be the life of a belt on this sled in these conditions? 2000 miles is gonna be the time?

I also can feel some wear on the clutches, where the belt rides at idle. Is this common?

2k of mountain riding on a belt is pretty good.For example if you were riding a doo you would probably have been on belt #4 or 5 at $120 each. Not a bash...the tra clutches create a lot of heat. As for the grooves that is caused by the hard compound 8dn belt . Also something elso to look at is you might be slipping the belt initially at engement & adding some weight to the inner hole really helps.

Dang, I've gone through 4 belts in 1,500 miles. I'm currently running the harder Apex belt to see if lasts longer. My sled doesn't see anything but wide open throttle though. I would be extatic if I got 2,000 miles from a belt.

The apex belt is no harder then the 01 belt. The new 01 belt is slightly wider...that,s the only diff.

When I put them side by side the Apex belt seemed wider. Are you sure the Apex belt is not a harder compound? I've been told by multiple people that the Nytro belt is softer.

What is the part number of the Apex belt? Is the Nytro belt 17641-00 or 17641-01? I think I've got part number confused.

I have a problem with my 08 Nytro clutching. I've got about 900 miles and I'm on my 7th belt. I just spoke with the Yamaha regional rep for AK, two yamaha reps looked at my clutches and adjusted the preloads to the number #2 spot at Artic Man this weekend. The same day, I blew another belt. When I went back to the Yami reps there only help was I had snow getting in on the clutches. When I looked under the hood it was bone dry, no snow! The Yamaha Rep said he would look at my clutches, clean them up and take a look at them in the shop. 7 belts in 900 miles is getting old! My old RX1 is still on the original belt. What's up???

Look behind the secondary. You will find a small hole (5/16" or so). Maybe two.
Depending on the riding conditions, snow can come thru this hole onto your belt. Plug this hole with something and see if it helps. This has been a cause for some belt failures.

My 03 RX1 has 7500 miles on the original belt (I know, hard to believe!) it still looks great. My 07 Phazer FX has 2600 miles on its belt.

I would not be happy if my sled ate belt like some of these nitros have been.

Eastern Riding is WAY different for belt life. Coming from the East, I never knew how hard a life a snowmobile in the mountains would live. I have a phazer with over 10,000 miles on an original belt (1990). But it gets driven like a grandma and lived it's entire life on groomed trails out east. Just different demands.

After blowing this Nytro belt, I realized one thing. The Ski Doo XP's eat the belts way faster in the mountains than the Nytros.

Vmax4 said:
Eastern Riding is WAY different for belt life. Coming from the East, I never knew how hard a life a snowmobile in the mountains would live. I have a phazer with over 10,000 miles on an original belt (1990). But it gets driven like a grandma and lived it's entire life on groomed trails out east. Just different demands.

After blowing this Nytro belt, I realized one thing. The Ski Doo XP's eat the belts way faster in the mountains than the Nytros.

I hear what you are saying, but I can also tell you that my RX1 and Phazer have allways been ridden WFO. I would bet that the RX1 has 2000 miles of wide open 115 MPH+ lake running. The Phazer is allways running hard due to its lower HP. I realize that this is not the same as mountain riding, but these sleds get run HARD and have yet to shred a belt.

DaveRX1,

Take hat wide open throttle, add to it sticky wet heavy spring snow, and then go up a hill that doesn't exist in Maine. Believe me, lived in NH all my life, then moved out here to WA. WAY DIFFERENT RIDING!!!

Not to mention, mountain sleds are also geared way lower. All this contributes to shorter belt life.

Back