• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blew a belt this weekend

I had to change out my stock RX-1 mtn belt Jan. 1st. The sled died on my return from the bar in Cooke City to the room (was staying a Bed and Breakfast 3 miles east of Cooke City). I walked to the room; woke the wife up and we retrived my sled. Due to it being pitch black and cold; I towed the RX-1 with the belt on it and messed it up.

Turns out it was just flooded from the carbs slamming shut going over a hill (witch actually caused an extreme lean condition). The charge tube from the SC to the intercooler had about 1.5" of race fuel in it preventing the blower from pressurizing my float bowls. Prior to that night the sled had 3800 miles (2000 of those with the Stage 1 MPI SC kit) and the belt still looked like it did @ 50 miles.

Jim

I would dare to say that most belts (apart from driver error) look like new till they fail.

Vmax4 said:
I would dare to say that most belts (apart from driver error) look like new till they fail.

Failure to me means the belt completely destructed, leaving pieces all over the engine bay while; frayed cords, grooves from smoking the belt, etc.... are just wear.

A belt is usually worn beyond factory specs before it reaches the fail point on my sleds. I check the belt wear and deflection on both machines every time we stop to take a break. If there are any signs of wear beyond factory recomended specs; I adjust belt deflection or install the new/spare belt immediately if needed.

The first belt on the wife's '05 900 RMK didn't fail but the cords were coming out the sides from excess clutch and under hood heat @ 300 miles. Got the Polaris updates done, added SLP flo-rights to the shock wells and the Timbersled filter and belt guard; second RMK 900 belt held strong for over 1500 miles until towing the flooded RX-1 on New Years Eve.

Jim

By the looks of your current sled list, you are still riding sleds with hoods you can lift and easily and quickly check belt conditions. Apex's, FXNytros, and Phazers are easy to check also, but not as quick as the "hood poppers".

I agree, to me belt blowing, is a total yard sale of belt pieces. I don't check my belt at every stop. Probably more like every few rides, unless I hear or feel something strange.

Back