• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blowing belts

huey1

Installed a heel clicker clutch kit in my XTX and it pulls like a freight train. The only issue is a belt only lasts about 450miles. Before the clutch kit a belt would last me about 1500 miles before it needed to be replaced. I am pulling 8800rpm and about 9000 on hard pack. Not sure if i gear it down if this would help or not.???????? At least the belts are cheap.

was chewing up belts myself.....did not know this till the other day as i never had problems with my other 2 stroke sleds....you really need to break the belt in for the 1st 50 miles.....the extra lbs and high hp these 4 strokers put out is tough on the belts

I have been breaking the belts in, Even washing the new belts first. This is not my first BBQ.

Did you check to see if you clutches are out of alignment? There are some adjustment shims on the jackshaft behind the secondary.

Also, are you using a tried and true clutch setup? Tinkering with the weights and springs may make them inefficient and cause belt slip and heat causing premature failure in your belts.

IMO running stiff springs and aggressive weights are only good for drag racing and are hard to properly setup for good backshift and everyday use. Heelclicker clutch setups with stiff springs promote belt slip causing excessive heat and premature belt wear if not setup perfectly. If your RPMs are to high, good chance the clutching is not fully shifting out with not enough load and is slipping. This is often the reason people tend to get better top speed with stock clutching while having lower peak RPMs where the stock clutching is more efficient on top. On the other hand, clutch kits such as Heelclickers, put more power to the ground down low shifting higher rpms at slower speeds at the expense of a less efficient top speed which is perceived to be faster by seat of the pants, but not necessary so. This is where the game of trade off starts where you need to ask yourself with each change done as to what exactly is happening if your RPMs are off.
Been there done that and could say that stock clutching is very good for all around performance. You can get better get up and go, but somewhere down the line there will be a trade off.

Dan

Pretty much stock sled, just blew another belt on the lake (maybe 6" of fresh snow 2 weeks ago), with over 4000 miles now I'm thinking a weak seconday spring (too much heat) clutches were hot as hell.

Back