• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blowing head light brights fuse....

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
I know I have a short someplace, I keep blowing the fuse when I switch the headlight to high, as long as the lights on low it will be fine. Anyone else have a problem like this to help me narrow down where the short may be??

Mrsled,

I am not an electrician but I think I would see if there is a way you can OHM the switch to see if it is shorted.

tomseal6 said:
Mrsled,

I am not an electrician but I think I would see if there is a way you can OHM the switch to see if it is shorted.

Its not the switch, I am getting a short to ground when unplugged in the harness.

Start isolating things by pulling the plug off the bulb to start. Then go from there. Make sure you pull the fues when looking at ohm readings on the meter you will be reading back through the power sourse which can look like a STG. Also the bulb has a very low ohm rating as well it can cause a false STG reading. Disconnect all inputs if there is still a low ohm reading then its in the harness if not hook things up one at a time till the fuse blows.

linemech31 said:
Start isolating things by pulling the plug off the bulb to start. Then go from there. Make sure you pull the fues when looking at ohm readings on the meter you will be reading back through the power sourse which can look like a STG. Also the bulb has a very low ohm rating as well it can cause a false STG reading. Disconnect all inputs if there is still a low ohm reading then its in the harness if not hook things up one at a time till the fuse blows.

Thanks for the advice.

Mr Sled,

I know that this is a old post but I am seeing the same issue with my Nytro and was wondering if you remember what was your issue? Just looking for some ideas on where to start.

Thanks,
DK

I found a short in the harness. If you follow the harness out of the fuse box on the right side, the harness goes up over the tank bit and just under the main cross over bracket bracket where the handle bars and steering tie in, the harness was rubbed thru.

Thanks for the reply... I think I just figured my issue out. I just noticed that when I turned the handlebars is when I popped a fuse. So I think mine was pinching the wires coming from the high/low switch. I rerouted the wires and rotated the handlebars from left to right and no issues now. Now only time will tell if I have fixed the issue.

Is this the spot it rubbed through?

Mine was from the harness coming from the high/low switch on the handlebars. I think it did not help how I rerouted the wires because of the OFT Relocator install. Did Yamaha change the routing of the wires because I do not see the harness routing like this on my '12 Nytro like Grizz is showing in his picture.

Attachments

• Nytro Steering Post.jpg
    Nytro Steering Post.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 66

Back