• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bottom chaincase bolt (again)

AttakDog

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Just another post on the chaincase bolt breaking. Pulled mine today 355 miles on a 09 XTX and it was broken. Must go really quick..........put in the updated one. Stocker had a shoulder and updated was threaded all the way.

good luck trying to get the broken piece out. I used a grab-it and it snapped it in half. now I'm trying to drill all the way through it and use an extractor that way. I have 700 miles on the xtx.

I drilled a small hole (1/8") into the exposed end of the screw and drove square drive bit in with few taps from a small hammer. Backed it right out, no problem.

Unless it was set with Loctite there's no load to hold the remainder of the screw in the shaft.

Just use a easy out. Have done it this way a few times with no problems:
DSC01603.jpg

I just bought an 08 nytro,i changed tracks and found my bolt was also broken.I just use a (square)spiral tapered extractor.

Roest with that new shorter bolt do you need to run a spacer still, I remember reading that you used a spacer to give the bolt enough room so it didn't bottom out in the shaft. Also have you looked at the bolt after you did this to see if it broke again?

According to BCBOOST the spacer cures the problem. Its not that the spacer keeps the bolt from bottoming out in the driveshaft, rather that without the spacer the collar bore does not meet the end of the driveshaft. Its shy by about 5mm and thus the collar presses against the part Yamaha calls a "journal". Just installed spacer on a friends sled. It hasn't been ridden so time will tell. As far as mine....I don't have reverse.

Old bolt p/n 90105-10320-00
New bolt p/n 90105-10368-00

yamahaboy701 said:
Just use a easy out. Have done it this way a few times with no problems:
DSC01603.jpg

I did it the same way. The bolt I took out had green thread locker on it so I just warmed the shaft up a little.

The original bolt had a shoulder which caused a stress riser right at the end of the threads, (my opinion) the new bolt is threaded all the way, just like my Attak and RX1 which never broke bolts. Time will tell!

Last bolt I took out broke 3 threads down. The drive axle and collar were changed for 2010 and none of the 2010s are breaking. That leads me to believe that adding the spacer may cure the problem as it mimics the parts relationship for 2010.

Back