• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bought 2006 RS Venture

bsamartin

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 RS Venture
Hi,

I'm new to snowmobiling and I just bought a 2006 RS Venture with ~2000 km. This is a great site and I will definitely check the cam chain tensioner.

However, the seller had way too much oil in the tank as it was completely full. When I brought the sled home I vacuumed out the excess oil, and cleaned the air box (a bit of milky oil). The oil looks clean, but hopefully there isn't any major damage...is there anything else that I should check? From searching for similar posts, I will change the oil and check the inline filter to make sure it's not blocked.

Also, I just signed up for VIP so how do I request a service manual as I'm planning to check the compression (the manual would be helpful).

Any advice is appreciated

Thank you

welcome to the site!

did the oil smell like gas? with that low milage, i would look clean the carbs as well as it might have had a sunk float. pilots on those are bad for plugging in any case. a good cleaning would not hurt.

fuel filters are in the tank. usually i use coat hanger to fish them out and replace them.

btw check your pm's.

I'd change out the coolant. With only 2k km, it might still be the original 15 year old factory fill. Add a bottle of Water Wetter (or equivalent) to aid the cooling.

welcome to the site!

did the oil smell like gas? with that low milage, i would look clean the carbs as well as it might have had a sunk float. pilots on those are bad for plugging in any case. a good cleaning would not hurt.

fuel filters are in the tank. usually i use coat hanger to fish them out and replace them.

btw check your pm's.

There was definitely gas mixed with the oil, so I feel like an idiot for not noticing this issue before I purchased. Thank you for letting me know to check this, I really appreciate it. The oil was very thin, black/grey, and there was a definite smell of gas.

I've drained the oil and there were some metallic particles in the oil, so hopefully the motor isn't really damaged. I'm going use some cheaper 0W30 oil as a flush after I clean the carbs, and install fuel shut off valves. If all is well, and the engine is still running okay I'll do a compression test before I take it for a short run, then I'll put yamalube oil it in. At least that's the plan.

For the compression test, I'm going to let the carbs run dry, pull all 3 plugs and coils, then test each cylinder. Am I missing any step here?

Is there anything else that I should check?

Thanks

compression test needs to be done with throttle held wot.

otherwise all sounds good for those checks.

i would check the speedo bearing for grease as they can be an issue as they get water in them and i hate walking when they fail.

make sure the a arms are set for almost parallel to the ground with the sled weight on it. makes it handle better.

check that the toe out is set to max 1/4" with sled on ground and bungee holding tension on the ski loops.

post back how it rides and steers and we can get you pointed in the right direction to make it handle its best.

bungee cord on your skis?

WHY???

Get all the weight off the coil over spring on the front shock in your rear suspension. This will stop your sled from wanting to fall over in corners.
Snow trackers on the skis, ZERO toe in/out, and you won't have any darting.

I don't know why people say to put a bungee cord on your ski handles. Wrong!!!
Do you leave it on when you're done? wtf??

bungee takes the slack out of all the steering components. makes it easyer to align with the slack out. i do it and it handles well when i do it this way.

Well, I won't be trying that method, as it doesn't make much sense.
It sounds okay, in theory, but not practical.

Thanks for something to contemplate though.

Cheers

Last edited:

Back