• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

brass shift fork pads

YamaSpark

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR VIPER S-TX 137 DX
What is your opinion of the DMC brass shift fork pads?
Are they a "must have" update? Personally, I feel that they are way overpriced, for what you get ($70 with shipping).
Has anyone who maintains the upper gear bushing, actually had the stock plastic fork pads fail?
Has anyone had the brass fork pads fail? I heard that they had a batch of them with cracking issues due to the wrong brass temper.

The failure of the stock pads , is a result of having an extremely worn top gear bushing, nothing wrong with stock pads . Buy a top gear with a brass bushing kit ( many available for $ 130 or less ) and fix the chain tensioner and you are good . Plus 25 000 km no problems with stock pads .

I've never seen the stock plastic shift fork pads fail in all the cases I've ever had apart. IMO the only way they would fail is if the busing is really toast and shot.

I myself would not go to the brass pads unless I've seen a reason to. I have gone to the Hurricane roller gears however as they last forever with no shaft denting or issues with the gear at all. I used to just replace the stock bushing in the top gear yearly, but the Hurricane gear has proven itself to me now.

Early on it was thought the stock pads were a issue but like others have said it was about the bushing wear on the top gear.. Its funny how this sled has evolved and the fixes have changed slightly and or gotten better.. And things we thought were caused by "X" were actually caused by "Z" so to speak.

Having used both, I would argue that the brass pads almost seem more brittle than the factory ones. I do think its a waste of money and the real fix is a better bushing in top gear. Factory pads are fine.

Are they a "must have" update? Personally, I feel that they are way overpriced, for what you get ($70 with shipping).
Has anyone who maintains the upper gear bushing, actually had the stock plastic fork pads fail?
Has anyone had the brass fork pads fail? I heard that they had a batch of them with cracking issues due to the wrong brass temper.
On another note, be very careful installing the factory pads. I've broken a couple.

The dmc brass ones break very easy as well on install.

I took my viper apart for service this year and one of my pads were broken so I ordered the brass from BOP for sidewinder also.

I purchased a very low mileage 20' sidewinder ltx se... the previous owner was obviously a "tool" but as I was disassembling everything to clean up, I had a broken stock pad. I went with DMC brass as well.

Attachments

• shift fork.JPG
    shift fork.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 53
no I don't think a must have as others have said. I have only seen broken on 1100 I think more to do being an older sled and they get brittle over time. Maybe good preventive maintenance on a 5year + sled? But other than that not much worry likley

I purchased a very low mileage 20' sidewinder ltx se... the previous owner was obviously a "tool" but as I was disassembling everything to clean up, I had a broken stock pad. I went with DMC brass as well.
How to as the upper gear looking at those pads my guess would be bad.

Back