• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

?BREAK IN PERIOD??

mnmsnowbeast said:
Well if anyone has worked on any engine they all run rings,and all need the same measure of load to seat,so hard full rpm bursts than back off hard again and back down,let it cool down,than hard again until you have around 20-30 miles like this than ride it normal,well for alot of us wfo lol,heck when we rebuilt any two smoke at the track,we ran them wfo for 1/4 mile at a time and they all ran perfect. But what do i know,i am still a young lad cough well 54 is young aint it..

Thats about the best way to break in a motor that is just having a new top end put in, but for initial breakin the best thing to do is sacrifice power for reliability. Babying a brand new motor will seat valves and run in the valvetrain. Do you beat on a belt when its new? No, so why beat one abunch of gears,chains and important contact parts that have very limited revolutions on them.

Tayz588 said:
mnmsnowbeast said:
Well if anyone has worked on any engine they all run rings,and all need the same measure of load to seat,so hard full rpm bursts than back off hard again and back down,let it cool down,than hard again until you have around 20-30 miles like this than ride it normal,well for alot of us wfo lol,heck when we rebuilt any two smoke at the track,we ran them wfo for 1/4 mile at a time and they all ran perfect. But what do i know,i am still a young lad cough well 54 is young aint it..

Thats about the best way to break in a motor that is just having a new top end put in, but for initial breakin the best thing to do is sacrifice power for reliability. Babying a brand new motor will seat valves and run in the valvetrain. Do you beat on a belt when its new? No, so why beat one abunch of gears,chains and important contact parts that have very limited revolutions on them.

Think he has it right on why Yamaha wants the LONG break in, its more to match up the gears and break them in than anything. I'm a firm believer in the break it in quick idea. I broke in my supercharged car engine on a dyno. It has a roller cam and we just started it up, let it warm up, and started doing FULL dyno pulls to break it in. It only took about 4-5 pulls to Seat the rings and you could actually see the blow by quit as they seated. I'm happy to say that engine now has 110,000 miles on it and uses less than 1 quart of oil every 5,000 miles. Yamaha's method listed for my Phazer is more akin to an old flat tappet cam engine break in so the cam wears in properly and we all know we don't have one of these engines.

all motors are already ran at the factory for a specified period of time. you must seat the rings. we're not talking about going out on a lake and pinning it across it five times. we're talking about going out trail riding. getting on the throttle running the rpm's up then decelling them down. you dont have to hit the redline. just run the engine up and down the rpm powerband under load. you have a warranty. if its gonna break, its gonna break regardless how you break it in. the factories dont want idiots going out and running the machine wide open for long periods of time. so they give rpm limits for break in.

Back