• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken Link? - Actually the pivot arm cross shaft destroyed

jkraeger

Veteran
Broke the rear suspension link again on my 07 FX. Riding a groomed seasonal road doing about 60 mph. Good thing I knew it broke because even though I slowed down I went off the trail going into the next corner. Last season it broken at about 1400 miles and they covered it out of warranty. Will they cover it again at 2100 miles? This really needs to be a recall. Last year I got an updated link part number but not the billet fix. Dealer claimed he never heard of the billet replacement and yamaha told him to use the part I got - said it was thicker. Guess it wasn't thick enough. I believe the link fails when the shock fades and doesn't dampen and slams on the link. Even though I only have 700 miles on the dealer rebuilt shock. Both times mine broke we were riding long stretches of groomed flat seasonal roads (10+ miles) at high speeds with stutter bumps in the turns. Shock is working hard for a long period of time at high speed and craps out resulting in the link breaking. Would I be better off just installing the GT skid I picked up on ebay? Does it bolt in the same holes as the FX skid or do I have to drill new ones. Will dealer fix the FX skid if I just bring him the skid? I don;t want to be sitting at home with snow on the ground and my sled in the shop for weeks. I knew the link would break again so I picked up the GT skid for some insurance and to keep me on the trails : )

Give Chris a call at:

Schmidt Bros Motorsports
2075 S. Towerline Rd
Whittemore, MI 48770

Personal One-on-one Tech Support Questions and Bench Racing.
Phone: 989-756-2150

He will give the straight talk on how to professionally set-up the rear skid frame for your style of riding along with the rider weight. The phone call is worth your time.

Speaking of broken links, Doesn't the race kit come with a billet link? Does anyone have the part number for just that part of the kit?

When my link broke they replaced it with the 08 billet one.

You can't just buy a new link. The link requires a new front suspension arm and everything. The billet link is a lot wider than the original steel one. Do a search here in these forums and you can find some posts from last year when this was discussed and someone posted pics of all the new parts included in the upgrade.

Motoman765 said:
You can't just buy a new link. The link requires a new front suspension arm and everything. The billet link is a lot wider than the original steel one. Do a search here in these forums and you can find some posts from last year when this was discussed and someone posted pics of all the new parts included in the upgrade.

Look at the pic attached for the 07 Race Kit. Does not show any further parts then a few parts including new rear torsion springs. I understand your statement regarding the 08 upgrade, but perhaps the links are different between the race kit and the 08 link pivot. That is why I asked if anyone has a parts breakdown of the race kit. That way those part numbers can be compaired to the stock parts breakdown of the rear skid.

Attachments

• Yamaha Race Kit - 07 Phazer.jpg
    Yamaha Race Kit - 07 Phazer.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 133
Actually didn't break the link ... Broke everything else

Well the link stayed together this time. However the crossbar is all crack up and twisted on both sides. And one of the front skid bolts snapped off. Yamaha gonna fix this for me? Others have said that the stronger link causes the next weakest thing to break - in this case the cross shaft. I'm having trouble getting the skid bolts out to remove it. Also worried about the tunnel hole being egged out now. Sucks!!!! Think I'll mount up my spare GT skid and see if that will hold up?

Attachments

• brokencrossbarleft.jpg
    brokencrossbarleft.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 182
  • brokencrossbarright.jpg
    brokencrossbarright.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 130
  • nobolt.jpg
    nobolt.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 124
If you never ask them they will never tell you no. You should at least ask them, because this is a known common issue. The worst they can tell you is no.

More pics of the damage

Here are some better pictures of the piece of crap skid in these phazers!

Attachments

• brokenpivotarm.jpg
    brokenpivotarm.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 119
  • pivotarmclose.jpg
    pivotarmclose.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 113
  • pivotarmclose3.jpg
    pivotarmclose3.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 109
  • destroyedslider.jpg
    destroyedslider.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 135
  • destroyedslider2.jpg
    destroyedslider2.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 124
All that is not the updated version.Get ahold of your dealer and start there.The 08 setup although not perfect is MUCH better than what you have.

Just talked to yamaha

They said a dealer needs to look at it. But they were also quick to site the current economic situation of our country and that I shouldn't expect much out of them. Bummer - switched to yamaha for reliability and because they back their products. Have wrenched on this phazer more than any of the used cats or doos I've owned and its the newest sled I've ever owned. It is the most fun I've had on a sled though!

Sent an email and pics to Excell Motorsports. Hopefully they can help!

Back