• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying a new 2016 Vk Pro ii, what rare pros-cons

Thanks!! Also, someone mentioned to upsize the idler wheels will help. Have you tried that??

The input and pm's have been most helpful!!! I have narrowed down selection to 900 ace expedition or a renegade and the VK Pro. I have rode both doo's and have experience with wide tracks (Bearcats and Skandics ). Now seeing what $$$ best price will be. One thing for sure ..., is Folks love their VK's! Renegade and Expeditions are cold sleds sound mechanically and great comfortable rides. Still partial though to the VK, next stop dealer this weekend! -38 today with windchill, so have the "itch" to get out there!! Will update, thanks!!

Do not forget the Dupont hyfax! A must have in low snow conditions. Try to get the Totaltek carbides. 10 times better than the Woody's.
The marginal wheel snow kit that Yamaha has for sale . Have you any experience with them for your sled? Do you know much about them..., if they would work to lessen the wear on the sliders?

The marginal wheel snow kit that Yamaha has for sale . Have you any experience with them for your sled? Do you know much about them..., if they would work to lessen the wear on the sliders?

When you buy a new sled, you should get the installation of a pair of Dupont’s in the price.

I have a 2016 and have not had any tunnel icing issues. As mentioned elsewhere in this forum the VK2 is a monster - big, powerful sled with lots of power and decent fuel economy. Downside it is heavy, very heavy. When it is stuck you need to shovel and be patient. On lakes, level trails, or off trail with lots of snow it will perform nicely. It is not a machine that likes to traverse side hill. I have used mine to pull a komatik (LOADED) with arctic tentage and winter camping gear. The machine pulls effortlessly.

Lt. Ron, thank you. After debating a 2017 900 Ace Renegade or the 900 Ace Expedition Sport, I have pulled the trigger on the VK. It came down to price and service from dealer + like the old school look of the VK. Having the 11" inch skins being installed for extra stability, Woody Dooley runners being mounted, installing the mod for exhaust for ice build up in tunnel and set of extra bogie wheels for slider wear. It certainly is a heavy sled!! Should have it out of the shop this week and will give update. I just hope it was the right decision.......

Lt. Ron, thank you. After debating a 2017 900 Ace Renegade or the 900 Ace Expedition Sport, I have pulled the trigger on the VK. It came down to price and service from dealer + like the old school look of the VK. Having the 11" inch skins being installed for extra stability, Woody Dooley runners being mounted, installing the mod for exhaust for ice build up in tunnel and set of extra bogie wheels for slider wear. It certainly is a heavy sled!! Should have it out of the shop this week and will give update. I just hope it was the right decision.......

Congrats Chateaupitsie. I don't think you will be disappointed with that decision. Good luck.

PS - Forgot to mention that it is also a very comfortable sled to ride - great windshield. You will like the warm storage under the hinged seat.

Lt. Ron, thanks!! The cold weather starting maybe an issue so I am having new AGM battery installed and taking out the stock one. -20's the norm here so we will see!! Someone mentioned that water-melted snow gets in the seat storage area, have you had any issue with that?

Lt. Ron, thanks!! The cold weather starting maybe an issue so I am having new AGM battery installed and taking out the stock one. -20's the norm here so we will see!! Someone mentioned that water-melted snow gets in the seat storage area, have you had any issue with that?

Good call on the battery. It would have been a great enhancement if the Yamaha engineers had designed a back-up pull cord start for this machine. At least the boosting location is convenient on the right inside area of the engine compartment. The battery is tucked in under the air breather and stays warm while the engine is running. Fortunately I have not had any issues with water getting into the seat storage compartment.

Good info. When you say travelling side hill.....do you mean going up any random hill on an angle? We have lots of hills here and sometimes you have to approach and drive at 45 degree angle, pulling a qamutik. Not in deep snow but marginal hard packed . Is that an issue?

Yes - I mean going at a hill too sharply off of a 90 degree direction. I have put my VK on its side a few times by doing that. Its just a bit of work to right the machine - - may lose a bit of oil into the air breather too. I think there are baffles in the oil tank to prevent too much loss - - other Genesis engine owners would know more than me about that.

When traversing slopes its a good idea to keep the momentum up, stand entirely on one side of the running boards and use the mountain strap. This has worked for me. With your wider skis I think this would be even easier.

Pulling will be no prob. The attached photo shows my kamituk with 500 lbs. A nothing load for the Viking. I could not even feel it there through the throttle.
IMG_20170212_094454.jpg
IMG_20170212_095248.jpg
IMG_20170212_081443.jpg

Lt. Ron!! Love the qamutik!! Where did you get that?? Thanks for the info. Hmm.. Another question on the flip up rails on VK. Doesn't the sled when backing up automatically have the articulating suspension kick in? My dealer said it should.....no knob or switch needed?? Also, I will attach a few pictures this weekend. My shed .., I store the sled in isn't wide enough if I put the 11" ski skins on. The snow here is marginal at the best of times is there enough flotation with the skis that the VK 2016 comes with? No powder only in the spring. Too cold for that. I may put the 11" skins on in spring but unless it will help flotation now not sure... To mod the shed have to remove doors, door frame etc., don't really want to do that now.

I actually built it. The runners are two 2x6" laminated together. Cross bracing using old fence lumber. Lashing "mostly" according to the way that the Canadian Rangers in the CF build them. I used old rink boards from a municipal hockey arena for the sliders. 1" steel tube for the yoke.

Yes to the articulating suspension - no switch. Unless you are in powder I doubt you need the skins. Not sure - never used them.

Impressed! You can see my qamutik wth box. In my avatar.., that's my spring-short trips qamutik. It's Parked near my cabin. Thanks again for info. If anything else comes to mind with the VK let me know!

Now you have a REAL qamutik! Can't imagine what you use for long trips.

Back