• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying Phazer. What do I need to know???

Jimdevjr

Veteran
Haven't been to TY in years since I sold my old SRX. Been on skidoo since 2004. Dad bought Apex LTX GT last year. Looks like from here on out, we will be returning back to Yamaha. 4-stroke, electric start, quality seems to be un-beatable.

Looking to buy a Phazer for my wife. So far, I have concluded that the 2007 models have a list of updates that need to be made. I'd rather not go to any dealers. I do all of my own work. So I figure stay 2008+. So far, that's all I've come up with.

What do I need to know? Check fluids, tracks, heat exchangers, etc etc. I can perform all the visuals no questions. Has anybody concluded what the long cold start is all about?

If the sled is studded, does it need tunnel protectors?

Anything anybody could add would be a major plus. I want to start looking as early as this weekend. Found a few LOW mileage sleds within 100 miles or so from my house........

Thanks
Jim

Only advice that I can give is the you dont know you need tunnel protectors untill its too late. ALWAYS run them with studs.... its carnage otherwise.

No real conclusions on long start but it is not a worry as long as you have a good battery.So I would say ensure updates including starter are done and then go over entire electrical system cleaning and dielectric greasing every connection.At that point you will be very familiar with your Phazer.Might not be a bad Idea to just ride it a bit so you know what you are working towards....FUN!

it's a fun sled...

rtx/fx/gt/mtx all came with reverse, which can be tricky to get into for some. just a little rocking should do the job though.

fx/rtx had better shocks, until the later models 09+.

I am also considering a 2008. Are you saying the 2008 needs a starter update?

Any other updates or major issues well known on the 2008?

TIA
Telstar.

Don't buy a Phazer for your wife. Its a really difficult sled to ride and it needs a ton of stuff just to make it acceptable. Now, if you are looking for a challenge, ride hard and love to tinker, then its the sled for you.

It depends on riding you do with your wife.I have seen both extremes in women.Fast and can hang with guys and so slow that sleep is a option for everyone else.Either extreme a Phazer is just fine for.Excellent actually.Average is where it sucks because of the handling caused by high C.O.G. and all the transfer.

If the wife is riding just a couple tricks to make it a bit more stable:

Ski block spacer mod, tighten limiter strap and ANY aftermarket carbide. Those 3 things will help a lot. And if she is light crank the springs down on the suspension.

Not trying to hijack but I am considering getting my son a Phazer next year as his first full size sled. He has been riding since he was 4. He will only be 9 next season but he is an above average size 9 year old. Before anyone jumps all over me, I do plan to restrict the throttle and he wil only be riding with me. I have only rode a Phazer once in 07 on a demo ride so I have very little experiance with it. Hoping it would be a good sled for him to grow into. I just can't put him on a Bravo or Ovation.

Only you know his riding ability. Look at minis in motocross, they obviously have "got it", depends per kid i guess?

On publictrails 9years old is too young.On your land its your business.Mini quads and bikes dont weigh 400lbs.Even limiting throttle will only make it take longer to get up to speed.Think of the other riders on trails.

My 10 year son is moving up to the Phazer this year. I limit him to a top speed of 25, not mechanically, mentally. What I love about the Phazer is that it is very passive on takeoff and a very non-agressive sled overall. For adults, inorder to ride it aggressively, you need to ride it and not have the sled ride you. This was a big learning curve for me, but it the funnest sled I have ever been on. I can afford to ride any sled out there, but my sled of choice is the Phazer, hands down. Even my 09 RTX/SE will be my backup sled. I can't keep up on the lakes or long straightaways, but the grin under my helmet is priceless. I hope this helps.

Good points all. here in Newfoundland where we ride there arenot a lot of public trails. We ride mostly in open country out in Central Newfoundland. I'm going to keep my options open for a while. Maybe I will get a chance to have him try one sometime this winter in controlled conditions. Not a lot of options out there for youger riders unless we go to the olde stuff.

Back