• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Canadian Federal Court Outlaws Sales Of AC Procross Sleds in Canada

Anyone who is happy about this and a possible demise of ANY of the 4 companies involved in our favorite sport is NOT a true snowmobiler in my opinion.
It's not enough to shut any of the big 4 down.

It is enough to force one of them to revamp if not replace a 2012 chassis. That's worth being happy about something. Not saying the old one is bad, it's overdue for replacement, to freshen up the line.

I don't know about you but I love my 115 hp e-tec outboard..doesn't smoke, very quiet and extremely reliable over the years I have had it, very low maintenance, light on the transom...did I mention quiet?...only issue I have had with it is there are not enough dealers in my area but the one there is IS a very good one in Ashaway Rhode Island.
The Yamaha is a very good outboard also..noisy at high rpm and heavy, but very reliable.

I don't know about you but I love my 115 hp e-tec outboard..doesn't smoke, very quiet and extremely reliable over the years I have had it, very low maintenance, light on the transom...did I mention quiet?...only issue I have had with it is there are not enough dealers in my area but the one there is IS a very good one in Ashaway Rhode Island.
The Yamaha is a very good outboard also..noisy at high rpm and heavy, but very reliable.
Yep difficult to bad mouth Evinrude BUT BRP has been trying to sell Evinrude for what 10 years and no buyers. Maybe Mercury will pick it up as another outboard option. Sooo many units sold see them everywhere in the Midwest. BRP says something else coming sounds like electric but I’m not interested in electric and water toys. Evolution I guess just have to see if shutting down Evinrude was a good idea.

Firstly the E-Tec outboard is an awesome motor but why they did not sell is beyond me other than they are not a nice looking design....no offence E-Tec owners
Cat not able to sell in Canada is a huge blow for us Canadians. I ride in Ontario and Cat has a big presence on the trails. The numbers would be very close between Cat and Doo.
My dealer, just north of London Ontario, is the biggest in Ontario so this will be a huge blow for them and all of us Canadian Cat fans.

Here's a few interesting tidbits that I ran across today regarding the outcome of the lawsuit that even includes a comment from Yamaha Motor Canada:

upload_2020-6-17_17-43-50.png

Last edited:
Hmm.. if the last update holds any water, Yamaha's claimed statement maybe hard to follow through here in Canada, Cat will not be able to sell Yamaha Canada any more pro cross chassis to sell to the Canadians, this is a can of worms for sure, time will tell, see what happens.

I’m not a Canadian attorney or know the weight of their federal court but just maybe at the time the law suit originated Yamaha wasn’t named in the law suit? Crazy twists and turns in all this but Yamaha definitely uses the procross in Canada. I’m baffled at this point but legal evolution will be very interesting for both AC and Yamaha in Canada.

I’m not a Canadian attorney or know the weight of their federal court but just maybe at the time the law suit originated Yamaha wasn’t named in the law suit? Crazy twists and turns in all this but Yamaha definitely uses the procross in Canada. I’m baffled at this point but legal evolution will be very interesting for both AC and Yamaha in Canada.
I am not a Attorney either, but my understanding is the law suit is about the chassis specifically the pyramid style design forward on the pro cross chassis, I could be wrong though, this is where BRP claims Cat stole their design for the similar rider forward position on the pro cross chassis, again I could be wrong.

Hopefully Cat can sell parts for the existing sleds in question...otherwise a huge disaster for the consumer.
Yamaha outboards have tons of exposure and dealerships are everywhere...good reason to buy one. Evinrude BRP has very few dealerships and you have to wait forever to get one fixed...good reason not to buy one. The few Evinrude dealers within a 100 miles radius do not have a great reputation..except one. The Yamaha dealers around here have competition thus better service.
I also have a 200hp Mercury on another boat...great engine.

Firstly the E-Tec outboard is an awesome motor but why they did not sell is beyond me other than they are not a nice looking design....no offence E-Tec owners
Cat not able to sell in Canada is a huge blow for us Canadians. I ride in Ontario and Cat has a big presence on the trails. The numbers would be very close between Cat and Doo.
My dealer, just north of London Ontario, is the biggest in Ontario so this will be a huge blow for them and all of us Canadian Cat fans.
no offense taken, I respect everyones opinion...this is a great site and I've learned allot and people here are straightforward and helpful.
looking forward to finding out about the maple syrup cartel in Quebec...Joe

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not but I found this picture of Arctic Cat's lead attorney's reaction to the judges's ruling in this case......

Dude.jpg

Last edited:
So the law suit says they must stop the sale use and distribution of any snowmobile which would infringe BRPs frame patent. Does Arctic Cat not sell the frame to Yamaha? I'm no lawyer either but that one begs a question. Can Arctic Cat get around the court order by selling their frame to Yamaha who sells it in Canada? It states Cat and its Canadian dealers is Yamaha Canada part of that? It still is a frame that Cat is not supposed to sell in Canada that they sold/sell to Canadian Yamaha dealers. Would selling the frame to Yamaha Canada not be classed as distribution or sale? Bit of sticky wicket. Seems like no sales of their frame anywhere in Canada? If this means a new frame is in the works then it comes out in the wash but 2020 is not looking good for Cat or Yamaha. Or I'm totally wrong, this will be an interesting few months ahead. Want to see how this plays out. I thought this lawsuit was done long ago, I was wrong.

Anyone who is happy about this and a possible demise of ANY of the 4 companies involved in our favorite sport is NOT a true snowmobiler in my opinion.
Absolutely. Reduce patent laws imo, or at least the years of protection! Same as communism in years past. No one wants to drive a Lada car or a Belarus tractor.

Back