• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can't say enough about maintenance on clutching

or run a dehumidifier in it during storage. i do that with mine and have had no issues with corrosion on any of the sleds i store in there. started running one when i got rained on going into my 1st enclosed in the middle of summer on a + 30 c sunny day. threw dehumidifier into the trailer and installed the drain hose quick as it was filling the bucket in less than 2 days for the first month.

So.. the fix is?
Heat your trailer?
I can't fight the weather.

If the sled is stored in the trailer during the winter its pretty tough to keep the moisture out. I try and get the snow out of the skid before you drive up the ramp - just the big chunks. Use a car snow scraper. If possible, leave the door open or the ramp door cracked for a few days to allow better air movement. Once its dried out its fine. I store my daughters sled in there all summer and have never had moisture issues.
MS

Dehumidifier is good idea for the summer months. wonder how big for a hybrid . Units are in pints?

I dont have an enclosed trailer, but the one time I put mine in one hot, I had issues the next day. Now, I let it cool down, go change and do other stuff then load it. We also installed some roof vents as it is very humid in there with hot machines.

Not an expert here but I would not be surprised if the sled was hauled on an open trailer in road salt many times and just put away …

Owner of this sled in question had it in a brand new inline that holds 3 sleds. (sleds in trailer were the winder, an AC7000 and a Ski-Doo). Trailer is parked under a roof (lean-too) and was bought when the sled was new...(owner told me as he said he bought everything at 1 time). Owner never had to trailer the sleds as he lives right next to the snowmobile trail system. Sled was never on an open trailer, even his ad mentions it was always put away in an enclosed trailer.

My thoughts are:
1 - the trailer only has the 1 front and 1 rear side vent....no air to really get in an out.
2 - Putting it away wet and the trailer holding moisture
3 - The sleds were all pulled in straight towards the ramp door (front). Fire up the sleds and put away the Sidewinder without fully warming it up? That will definitely cause condensation on parts.
4 - the trailer being under the lean-too where it is....trees all around the property, lean-too side facing sun and on grass/gravel that holds lots of moisture.

I have seen this same issue in my enclosed trailers if I didn't take them out and put the sleds into the shop. But not as bad as this.

Yes today’s trailers with small side vents, do not work as well as the older style top vented trailers.

C0F8614D-620A-42F1-B185-34BEC1B8B529.jpeg
This is what happens to your primary clutch weight, bushing and collars/pin when your primary roller bushing taps out!

Once that roller tilts off it’s mated flat spot for the weight, that weight and it’s bushing and collar also tilt, causing even more problems!

This happens quickly with a couple days of County riding, where one finds miles and miles of spots for fast cruising!

Another couple of hours of riding and I probably would have wrecked the clutch!

And I check my clutch rollers before and after every ride, so I have kept them in check, but the last set of roller bushing that I tried only lasted a couple of days. I blame the clutch weight problem found on those roller bushings! Right or Wrong, I am sure this adds unwanted stress on the clutch.

So yes to clutch maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!

What kind of maintenance is needed to get rid of these rubber marks. Secondary not a mark just primary.

Attachments

• primary 1.jpg
    primary 1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 110
  • primary 2.jpg
    primary 2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 108
Looks as though your belt to sheave clearance/OR belt deflection is off some.. Hard to tell from pics sometimes.. Looks like your really rubbing the belt at idle, does it make noise like squeal at idle? Seeing a lot of black marks where the belt would sit at idle.. So the belt to sheave clearance and or belt deflection is to tight. Are these sidewinder clutches?

Last edited:
Looks as though your belt to sheave clearance/OR belt deflection is off some.. Hard to tell from pics sometimes.. Looks like your really rubbing the belt at idle, does it make noise like squeal at idle? Seeing a lot of black marks where the belt would sit at idle.. So the belt to sheave clearance and or belt deflection is to tight. Are these sidewinder clutches?
My offset is 58 and the primary is an apex clutch setup to thunder specs for my sidewinder. I do have 911 cover and belt adjuster. I have the belt sitting almost flush just a bit under actual. No squeal at ideal. I’m also using 33-35 helix with thunder orange at 40. I just gave it a 240 ss hurricane flash with precision muffler. I want to get the clutch right before next season. Also still using 8jp belt.

Last edited:
My offset is 58 and the primary is an apex clutch setup to thunder specs for my sidewinder. I do have 911 cover and belt adjuster. I have the belt sitting almost flush just a bit under actual. No squeal at ideal.
Good offset number on the stock clutches. With the 911 cover you should be able to eliminate that black where the belt is sitting at idle.. Maybe back that adjuster on the 911 cover a tad.. Turn it counterclockwise a smidge, should clean up the black marks at idle.

I still feel by the marks on that movable your offset is off a smidge. Maybe someone else feels differently but IMO your offset is still off

Back