• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carbureted venture and storage

SAB1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
2010 Vector GT
2006 Apex
People, myself included, seem to have trouble with the carbs drying out during summer storage. I had to have mine cleaned this year and I can't see how it won't get clogged again during non use. I have always put a stabilizer in the fuel, usually startron, for storage and also in most every tank I run through the sled. Anyone else have problems? Better off to try to run the sled right out of fuel?

I've had good luck disconnecting the lines before the pumps and running the carbs dry, then in the fall I put a small funnel in one of the lines on the carb side of the pumps to fill the bowls. Takes about a cup to fill them. Starts instantly every time! Before I started doing this, the fuel would slowly evaporate out of the bowls, leaving behind residue that gummed up the carbs. I also necked down the vent lines from 1/4" to 1/8" to slow down evaporation during the riding season if it sat for more than a couple weeks.

SAB1 - could you start them a few times while in storage?

Well I can tell you from this winter that if it sits more than a couple weeks it takes a lot cranking to get fuel into the carbs. Nothing like starting after storage an having to pressurize the tank. I really hate to start it every couple weeks in the offseason. Yank- I spoke to the guy that works on the sled this morning (he is getting it ready for storage) and he was going to do exactly as you said. Glad you have had luck with it. Thanks guys

I've had good luck disconnecting the lines before the pumps and running the carbs dry, then in the fall I put a small funnel in one of the lines on the carb side of the pumps to fill the bowls. Takes about a cup to fill them. Starts instantly every time! Before I started doing this, the fuel would slowly evaporate out of the bowls, leaving behind residue that gummed up the carbs. I also necked down the vent lines from 1/4" to 1/8" to slow down evaporation during the riding season if it sat for more than a couple weeks.

You can't run them dry......you have to pull the plug on the bottom to drain them completely.

With it setup properly, pressurizing the tank takes a few seconds.

The best chance one has IMO to get a carb'd 3 cyl. thru the offseason without carb woes is to start them every couple weeks. You can add X chemical to the gas as well as Y and Z (as I have), add-inline filters (as I have)....the best luck I have ever had is to run the sled every couple weeks.

This so called "gas" we burn has so many additives in it that it seems like eventually the pilots get clogged up just through pure use.

Last edited:
People, myself included, seem to have trouble with the carbs drying out during summer storage. I had to have mine cleaned this year and I can't see how it won't get clogged again during non use. I have always put a stabilizer in the fuel, usually startron, for storage and also in most every tank I run through the sled. Anyone else have problems? Better off to try to run the sled right out of fuel?
I run coleman camp fuel through the system, let the fuel pumps draw it it up right out of the can, run till you can smell it and your good to go, everything I have that sits for a good amount of time gets it, my small two strokes run on it all the time, mix 2 stroke oil like normal............

Last edited:
Premium (non-ethanol) fuel for last tank, Seafoam and/or Mechanic in a Bottle, start it every few weeks. Have not cleaned my carbs in 6 years and doubt that the original owner did it either. Blow air into the tank vent to pressurize before starting.

I always fill the tank, put in lots of fuel stabilizer, and let it run until the fuel stabilizer is in the carbs, and everywhere else in the fuel system.
You fill the tank so condensation can't build up in the tank.
DO NOT start it in the off season. You'll end up ruining the spark plugs, and you'll need to be a contortionist to replace them.
When you're ready to use it next winter, siphon out the gas, pour that gas in your truck, and put brand new gas in the sled.
Gas these days has no quality to it, or shelf life to it.
Pressurize your fuel tank by blowing in the overflow hose, at your left knee, with your mouth, NOT an air compressor.
It will start right up!

Premium (non-ethanol) fuel for last tank, Seafoam and/or Mechanic in a Bottle, start it every few weeks. Have not cleaned my carbs in 6 years and doubt that the original owner did it either. Blow air into the tank vent to pressurize before starting.

X2. with seafoam. No problems in 11 years on my Turbo and I have almost 17,000 miles on her. On the other hand I have a buddy that used Stabil and it gummed up his carbs even with non ethanol super for the final tank. Had to clean out his carbs 4 times before we got it going this year and he only has just over 3,000 mile on it. That was a real PITA.

I
DO NOT start it in the off season. You'll end up ruining the spark plugs, and you'll need to be a contortionist to replace them.

Jeez Roger take it easy will you? My best luck with my carb'd 3 cyl (10 years....17,000 miles) has been with adding inline fuel filters and starting it every 30 days or so during the offseason.

Saying that it will ruin plugs and such is just plain giving bad advice.

It's your sled....do it how you want. But don't tell ME it's WRONG to do it the way it's worked best for me.

The fuel is so bad nowadays and the carb'd pilots so small, that I think just the fact that fuels goes thru them and some sort of buildup occurs naturally that no matter what one does, eventually they'll need cleaning.

I have always done the same running a good strong mix of Startron into the carbs. Like you I always fill the gas the tanks and syphon out the gas next winter. I think it is inevitable the carbs will need to be cleaned every so often. I'm going to running them dry this year though.

How do you run them dry? Siphon gas out of tank and run the motor till it quits? Will that leave any gas in the bowls?
I just siphoned all the gas out of my 2 sleds (RS Venture and SXR700) and now I'm contemplating either pouring in 2 gallons of 94 octane with marine stabil and running them, or running them both dry.... I did fill the last tank with a good dose of stabil, so the fuel in the system is already stabilized...

Ha. Technically I have not done yet but my mechanic is going to show me this week by disconnect the gas feed to the carbs and letting it run until it stops.

If you have fuel line shutoffs it's easy. BUT....you can't RUN the carbs completely dry on a carb'd Vector. Go ahead and try......

Explain why it can't be done? Why are they dry each fall when I go to start it? Mine is. A venture but doubt the matters. How does a fuel shut off work but not roving fuel line?

Back