• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carbureted venture and storage

DO NOT start it in the off season. You'll end up ruining the spark plugs, and you'll need to be a contortionist to replace them.

No problem starting in the off season, just let it warm up good each time. I always do it and my 6 year old plugs looked fine when I just changed them. I would worry more about seals drying out if the system is run dry.

Nothing brings on more opinions than off season storage. Some say empty tank some say full. I store mine full. I can say that all mechanics that work on my stuff be it motorcycles, boats, jet skis or snowmobiles say to not start it in the offseason. Let it sit.

Premium (non-ethanol) fuel for last tank, Seafoam and/or Mechanic in a Bottle, start it every few weeks. Have not cleaned my carbs in 6 years and doubt that the original owner did it either. Blow air into the tank vent to pressurize before starting.

I finally gave up cleaning carbs each season on my vmax and chainsaw,etc. Buy non ethanol and run it in for storage. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VT

Jeez Roger take it easy will you? My best luck with my carb'd 3 cyl (10 years....17,000 miles) has been with adding inline fuel filters and starting it every 30 days or so during the offseason.

Saying that it will ruin plugs and such is just plain giving bad advice.

It's your sled....do it how you want. But don't tell ME it's WRONG to do it the way it's worked best for me.

The fuel is so bad nowadays and the carb'd pilots so small, that I think just the fact that fuels goes thru them and some sort of buildup occurs naturally that no matter what one does, eventually they'll need cleaning.

JEEZ 4strokeluvr111, take it easy will you?
You're right, it is my sled, so you don't tell me what to do either??!! and saying what I do is wrong either!!

JEEZ 4strokeluvr111, take it easy will you?
You're right, it is my sled, so you don't tell me what to do either??!! and saying what I do is wrong either!!

I stand by what I said and won't bother saying anything more.

Explain why it can't be done? Why are they dry each fall when I go to start it? Mine is. A venture but doubt the matters. How does a fuel shut off work but not roving fuel line?

You don't know what the float bowls look like on the carb'd Vector's do you? Do yourself a favor, run it "dry" as you call it. Then remove the carb rack and drop the float bowls. Or leave the carbs on and drop the bowls.

Think about it.....if you only remove the fuel lines from the carbs you think the fuel pumps are going to stop pumping fuel?

Install two inline fuel shutoff's like this and it's easy....and you won't have gas pumping out "wherever"

Carb Shutoffs.jpg

Personally, I haven't used a specific gas stabilizer in years, only Sea Foam.
Sea-Foam, which I assume a lot don't know, is also a fuel stabilizer and lasts for up to 2 years.
I have 2-3 bottles of Sta-Bil on my shelf which I plan on giving away soon.

Sea Foam works as a cleaner as well, among other things and is all I use.

One thing I have also noticed over the years on these forums, is that American gas is not of the same quality of CDN gas so if you can purchase 100% Ethanol free high test gas state side, then use it!!

I have also never left gas in my tank over the summer, always siphoned it after I have fogged the engines on both sleds (95 XLT SP 2 stroke and my carbed 08 Vector)
I have done this since 96 when I purchased my XLT. The dealer, who had many sleds left in the yard, told me he can hear the winter gas boiling in the tanks that were left rather full with winter gas in them in the summer when he is out in his yard. Imo, that isn't a good thing and a sign that the good in the gas is being boiled off leaving the not so good stuff behind?

I don't drain my carbs either, did 2 seasons ago and it was a PITA! As I am fogging, I obviously kill the engine and that is all I do, but keep in mind, the gas was treated and ran with a healthy dose of Sea Foam for at least 10 minutes prior to starting the fogging session.

In the fall, after I have added about 5 gallons of fresh fuel, I blow into the vent hose near your left foot and have my son start the sled. It starts usually fairly quick and I am good to go for the season.

Take this for what it's worth, it is what I have done for years and it has always worked for me.

I run thru the first tank of all my stuff when it comes out of storage. I did note they claim it to be a good stabilizer for fuel. The only thing I don't understand is that Seafoam seems to have a lot of alcohol in it. I was always taught that Alcohol is bad for the fuel lines and gaskets so I have not used it as season stabilizer. Anyone got any comments on that?

I run thru the first tank of all my stuff when it comes out of storage. I did note they claim it to be a good stabilizer for fuel. The only thing I don't understand is that Seafoam seems to have a lot of alcohol in it. I was always taught that Alcohol is bad for the fuel lines and gaskets so I have not used it as season stabilizer. Anyone got any comments on that?

Ask for a MSDS sheet from the makers of Sea Foam. If you believe what you are taught, let that be your guide for using it for extended storage.

I have never heard that bebore, Sab, and since it has been out and used for years, I think we would have by now if it did cause problems?

I'd also check 4sL's MSD suggestion, or Google "Sea Foam" problems and see what you come up with?
I use year round in most everything I own, not just prior to, or after storage. Both sleds get a drink all season long, usually almost every tank.

Explain why it can't be done? Why are they dry each fall when I go to start it? Mine is. A venture but doubt the matters. How does a fuel shut off work but not roving fuel line?

The engine will not suck every drop of fuel out of the bowl. It dies once fuel level drops below the jets. Jets are not at very bottom of bowl so there will still be fuel in bowl.

During the offseason that remaining fuel ages and varnishes or evaporates which is why they are dry when you start in the fall.

The engine will not suck every drop of fuel out of the bowl. It dies once fuel level drops below the jets. Jets are not at very bottom of bowl so there will still be fuel in bowl.

During the offseason that remaining fuel ages and varnishes or evaporates which is why they are dry when you start in the fall.

I was trying to encourage some peeps here to learn through the experience of pulling a fuel bowl and seeing for themselves what's there.....not simply typing it and pretending "to know".

You are a better man than me Travis! ;)!

:carbs:

I finally gave up cleaning carbs each season on my vmax and chainsaw,etc. Buy non ethanol and run it in for storage. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VT

So I got up to the North Hampton Airfield on this Pure-gas link and got some fuel without ethanol. $4.95 a gallon for http://www.bp.com/en/global/bp-air/aviation-fuel/aviation-gasoline/about-mogas.html

This stuff Ok to use? The small power equipment places in my area that are selling non ethanol are selling gallons premixed in with oil.

I use True Fuel it has a 4 year shelf life, or something like that. Been using it in all my stuff for storage. It cured my problems.

I used to drain the bowls on my carb'd Vector but have had good luck the last few seasons doing the following: 1. Siphon out all but the last 1/8 tank. 2. Add marine stabil & a few ounces of 2-stroke oil. 3. Run it up to temp. 4. Shut her down for the season. 5. Siphon the last bit of gas out of the tank. Visit every few week in the summer so she doesn't get lonely. Don't start her up, just let her know her time is coming again soon. Fresh gas and blow into the vent line in the fall.
Surprised no mention of adding 2-stroke oil so far in this thread.

Back