• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case assembly help

pay2play

Expert
I'm doing my first track swap. Everything went well until I screwed up the needle bearing in the bottom gear. Ordered a new one from my dealer. Hope it can be pressed in without any problems. Any feedback would be great. Second question. I cleaned up the grease that was on the spacers. What should I buy to grease them again? I'm assuming it needs something. Bearings all seemed fine. I only have 2200 miles on my XTX. Looking forward to the back country track. FYI. Putting a 4th wheel kit and 20 tooth top gear from barn of parts and new limiter straps from my dealer. Thanks for the help!

Here is the blow up of the reverse chain case. Where it shows a grease gun it says to use ESSO BEACON 325 or AEROSHELL #7A not sure where to buy or if you can use something you can buy at the auto parts store. I'm sure someone will know if there is an alternative I couldn't find anything on the net. They are both synthetic greases. If you do find them let us know they seem very expensive and for some reason Yamaha has specified them.

Pete

Attachments

• revcase.JPG
    revcase.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,060
I just looked at my Yamalube suspension grease that I get from the dealer and it says can be used for where ESSO 325 grease is specified. That was easy and its cheaper than what the manual specs.

Pete

I just looked at my Yamalube suspension grease that I get from the dealer and it says can be used for where ESSO 325 grease is specified. That was easy and its cheaper than what the manual specs.

Pete
Great! Thanks for the help! Looking forward to getting that project wrapped up soon.

If you have an airport close by, find the aircraft maintenance department. Aeroshell 7 is used all over airplanes and they will gladly sell you a tube.

You guys are over thinking this. Any grease will work. These are oil seals and the grease is just for assembly purposes. I normally just wet the sealing surfaces with gear lube before reassembling and have never had a problem.

good ole vaseline is my assembly lube especially on "O" rings

Grizz its that "old" military mind of mine that was pounded in that if the tech manual says use this grease you better use it. Anyway not a big deal as suspension grease is the same grease as the spec for the chain case seals its cheap and is synthetic.

Pete

Great input, got it all back together! Used a little grease on some of the parts for good measure. The track swap was much easier than I expected. I did screw up a bearing that cost me a week and about $50 in parts and shop time to press it out and back in. Toughest part was putting the new limiter straps in doubled up for good measure. A second set of hands helped a lot there. Thanks to TY for a great FAQ section to help me out!

Back