• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case ?

Where did you get standard circlips to substitute them? What retailer carries them?
Last question - how do you approach sizing?
I agree, circlips are much more civilized than those things.
MS

Where did you get standard circlips to substitute them? What retailer carries them?
MS
In addition to those questions, there is a collar just in front of that baring. Do you straighten out the locking spline and unscrew that to remove? Is there a special tool to unscrew the collar?

EDIT: It almost looks like a spanner wrench is required, but I have never seen one that will go deep enough into the casing to lock in and have swing room for the handle. Any input? Is a spanner wrench required for this?

Last edited:
In addition to those questions, there is a collar just in front of that baring. Do you straighten out the locking spline and unscrew that to remove? Is there a special tool to unscrew the collar?

EDIT: It almost looks like a spanner wrench is required, but I have never seen one that will go deep enough into the casing to lock in and have swing room for the handle. Any input? Is a spanner wrench required for this?
Yes, Cat in their infinite wisdom thought this a good idea. Being the frugal snowmobiler I am. I made a spanner socket out of some key stock and a deep well socket, welded it up . Since it required torqueing upon reassembly is why the socket. In 2016 Yamaha, not sure about Cat, went back to a better way. 2016 and newer use standard circlips. Dont know if its a direct replacement - retrofit to the old ones though.

Dang, I can't find a spanner wrench locally anywhere. Tried Lowe's, Home Depot, Advanced, O'Reilly and Tractor Supply. I was also looking for one that would work for this purpose? Will the 2016 part work on my 2015?

Last edited:
If you measure the groove width and depth, you can then cross that measurement through mcmaster carr and select the appropriate size retaining ring.
I was able to cross everything over through my work. We have just about every size of internal and external retaining ring up to 3 inch, so it cost me nothing
As far as a spanner wrench for the nut goes, i just used a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to remove it. Place the screwdriver in a groove and give it a whack. The nut will turn.
When assembling it, i tighten the nut about 1/4 to 1/2 turn past snug by hand.
You need to get a feel for it, dont want to crank on the nut, just enough to lock it in place.

The circlips holding the bearings in the case are removed with a small screwdriver. These clips are still used in all the cases.

The clips on the shaft are now regular circlips. The nut and locking collar are gone but you would need the 16 up bearing and jackshaft to use 16 bearing and clips. 17 is updated further and wobble bearing is now gone.

There is some very good posts in FAQ sticky with nice pics on all this. Lot of reading.
I read darn near every post on the subject. I am going with FAG and NTN bearing replacement bearings due to to those posts. Questions asked here have not been answered to the best of my knowledge. Pictures in one of those posts are no longer view-able. The poster needs to update his account or something.

I read darn near every post on the subject. I am going with FAG and NTN bearing replacement bearings due to to those posts. Questions asked here have not been answered to the best of my knowledge. Pictures in one of those posts are no longer view-able. The poster needs to update his account or something.
If you are referring to the bearings my recommendation is to update to 16 or 17 parts including jackshaft or just use stock. I got 7000mi out of mine and they were still good as New when replaced. If you use another source for bearings and you keep the retainer and nut be sure the upper Jackshaft bearing in case has a tapered inner race to match original.

The circlips Swampcat is referring to are on the Shafts not the clips holding the bearings in chaincase.

Back