• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase failure

slimjim2525

Lifetime Member
Well I lost all the oil in the chaincase. Heard the chain going over the top gear, and new there was obviously something wrong. Opened the chaincase, and it looked like burnt toast. Not a drop of oil. I initially thought it was a chaincase seal but it was not. The bottom bolt on the cover has a hairline crack in it. I only found this after I put it all back together and saw it leaking in my garage. I ended up putting RTV on the inside groove where the gasket sits, and JB weld on the outside. Hopefully that works, but this is now my backup sled, as I just ordered a 2022 LTX-GT. I hit a huge G-out in Maine and broke the sway bar, so I'm thinking this was caused then, and started to leak fluid, as I has 1900 miles on the sled before I heard the grinding. Can't get a new cover for nothing, thanks to Covid. Good news is, the BOP driveshaft wedge worked great. 4K miles on the sled this year, and the shaft only had .005 wear. Bad part is, I should have bought the chaincase protector from BOP, and I would have saved myself 8 hours work, and a 1K bucks. Pics to come.

20210318_130902.jpg

Do yourself a favor. Order the chaincase protector from BOP's. I didn't think I would ever need it as I only ride groomed trails, and here we are.

Ouch, sure looks like that bottom tab took a hit.
Kudos for taking the blame and not blaming "Cat DNA"
I might add the chain case protector to my new LTX after seeing this.

This sled really has been rock solid. 10,665 miles on it. This was not a sled failure, but a pure #*$&@ luck bad g-out section of trail. I put all the aftermarket fixes in, and its solid. DMC upper gear, welded tensioner, driveshaft wedge, tunnel savers, BOP relays. No blown belts, hell haven't done a thing to the primary or secondary clutches except clean them.

What is a g-out? A big bump and you bottom out the front and broke the sway bar? Trying to understand how it can break the chain case.

What is a g-out? A big bump and you bottom out the front and broke the sway bar? Trying to understand how it can break the chain case.
Yes a g-out is a big hole or washout in the trail, when he bottomed out he hit the very bottom of the chaincase & cracked the mounting ear causing the fluid to leak out

G-out >You see them on grade trails(straight) trails that have small bridges.. So the trail narrows and sleds are forced to ride the center of the bridge and you get a spot (always) deep hole. Usually bad to hit these while going to fast.. Probably other areas these form on trails, but that's where I see them

Oh I see. Is it Procross thing when you bottom out the front it hits underneath? I bottom out plenty of time in my Apex when shocks were due for rebuild one trip. Out with the boys so had to finish it regardless. I was younger, naive and my back could take it. Never damaged anything other than me ego.

Oh I see. Is it Procross thing when you bottom out the front it hits underneath? I bottom out plenty of time in my Apex when shocks were due for rebuild one trip. Out with the boys so had to finish it regardless. I was younger, naive and my back could take it. Never damaged anything other than me ego.

The chain case hangs lower so its possible

Back