• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase oil level?

Ndoggct

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Looking for 18 sidewinder
hello had my 500 mile service done 500 or so miles ago and I just noticed the level is just above bottom of sight glass
I never looked when the did service to see if it was exactly halfway
Is this ok or should I put to exact half up glass? Thanks

Couple things, be sure to check it when its warmed up or has sat at least 5-10mins. I notice when lube is cold, and sled is moved/ran on stand the oil can take some time to settle and come up to level. When its warmed fully the level will come up quick.

It may have been low all along? Or could possibly have a seep, but I have not seen the chain-case seal leak yet, as long as bolts are all tight. Keep eye on sight glass, but they usually will just fall out entirely(inward) not seep.

Certainly can add more chain oil to get it to level. I have worked on my case several times, and when cleaned out thoroughly it has always taken exactly 355ml/12oz to get level at CENTER of sight glass.

Dan

Yes I’m thinking maybe they just put in 8oz at change
I honestly never thought about checking after change
Actually this is my first time ever checking level
I will try running sled for a bit and check it again
I’m not thinking that it is super low if I can actually see level in sight glass
Thx guys

Yes I’m thinking maybe they just put in 8oz at change
I honestly never thought about checking after change
Actually this is my first time ever checking level
I will try running sled for a bit and check it again
I’m not thinking that it is super low if I can actually see level in sight glass
Thx guys

I am in the habit with these sleds, to literally look down at my sight glass EVERY SINGLE TIME I stop. It takes 1 second to glance at it. Reason is, many lose the sight glass altogether, and if you catch it in time you won't trash the entire inside!.lol

Sight glass when all is well, is actually a wonderful design to have. No guessing about how much or if ANY oil is in there when riding. Any other sled, you just rely on seeing a leak/seep to know if oil is still inside.

Dan

I am in the habit with these sleds, to literally look down at my sight glass EVERY SINGLE TIME I stop. It takes 1 second to glance at it. Reason is, many lose the sight glass altogether, and if you catch it in time you won't trash the entire inside!.lol

Sight glass when all is well, is actually a wonderful design to have. No guessing about how much or if ANY oil is in there when riding. Any other sled, you just rely on seeing a leak/seep to know if oil is still inside.

Dan
Would you think I am ok as long as I can see the level in glass for a few hundred mile trip next weekend?

Would you think I am ok as long as I can see the level in glass for a few hundred mile trip next weekend?
Trick question, just fill the time bomb a little over full and then you won’t have to do it when you get back. Better sooner than later!

I’m just worried that that rev actuator removal to fill looks tricky and I don’t want to mess something up

I’m just worried that that rev actuator removal to fill looks tricky and I don’t want to mess something up

It's very simple... chances of you messing it up are very slim...

Trick question, just fill the time bomb a little over full and then you won’t have to do it when you get back. Better sooner than later!
x2 dealer got an update and said it requires 300ml now wich is to the top of the sight glass

I can just see some highly paid engineer when talking about all the chain case problems in a meeting. "Why don't we just add a little more gear oil and see what that does" :)

Sounds odd as Dan puts in 355ml and it is 1/2 way.

I put 355 ml in both the wife's 2018 Viper and my 2017 Sidewinder and they were 1/2 way up. Dealer did complete 800 km (500 mile) service and put in 355 mls on my 2019 SRX. Will be doing both the Viper and SRX myself soon and will be putting 355 ml in each again. 400 ml would probably bring it to the top of sight glass or above.

Sounds odd as Dan puts in 355ml and it is 1/2 way.
Thats weird , ill check with the dealer tonight and post tomorrow since the sled came with oil half way up the sight glass and after the 500 mile service it was to the top.They were told to put more oil as per service bulletin 300ml

Back