• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing the top gear

jeffT

Pro
If i put on a 22 tooth gear........ what will change on bottom end and top end? slightly less hole shot? 5 more MPH? Id like to be able to get more top end numbers without sacrificing the gut wrenching hole shot thatt the nytro delivers. Also ......... With a 22 tooth gear, do i neeed a longer chain?

I'm no expert here by any means, but I believe you WILL get some top end. I think its around 5 MPH. I also would like to know about low and mid range. Ulmer sells a stage 2 clutch kit with a 22 tooth top gear that comes with a 70 link chain. My guess is with this kit you won't lose much at low and mid, but will gain the top end.

If your over 200 pounds gearing up won,t gain anything.
On a good point you won,t spin or wheelie as much off the line.

Turk said:
If your over 200 pounds gearing up won,t gain anything.
On a good point you won,t spin or wheelie as much off the line.

So to summarize, over 200lbs there is no gain AND you will lose some low end?

You can not just go to a 22T upper gear on the NYTRO. This calls for use of a 70L chain, and is not recommended. I found out after purchasing and reading the Tech. bulletin book from Yami. The chain is then too long and requires too much adjuster bolt. The chain ends up looking like a letter B. My next option, of which I did, was to go back to the stock 68L chain and also get a 38T lower gear. Not a huge difference.. Probably not worth the effort. I wanted to gain 2 things: more top speed, and less wheeling. It did work, but not like night and day. Probably picked up like 8 mph over a long long haul. What worked better for my wheeling was actually changing the gap at the rear suspension coupler blocks. Had to buy aftermarket adjustable ones from Ulmer. Reduced gap by 1/8" and now I can finish my corners with my back end sliding out, like I needed. Like my machine a little loose, especailly when so top heavy.

Back