• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check you limiter straps RTX

Ported Hornet said:
Well I called Yamaha and logged a compliant. Sure enough they have never heard of any of the problems that I mentioned, Suprising! Well I did my part, now to get my sled fixed so I can get back on the snow.

Geez, I guess Yamaha lost their warantee claim files from 2005?

Anyhow, check the center shock for rebound dampening performance as that is what casues the <SNAP!> that tears these things apart.

kotapug said:
How are you checking the shock ?

With the skid out it is easy to get an idea of how well it is working by putting the skid on the floor, pushing down on the top of the front pivot arm with your foot and slipping your foot off the arm.

If the arm snaps back up instantly with a loud bang, the shock is done. If the arm comes up smoothly, the shock is probably still working (but still might be prone to fading on the trail).

If you want to be more certain, remove the shock and spring from the shock and with the shaft end up, compress the shock by hand. If it moves in any distance without resistance, there is nitrogen on the oil side and when riding it will fade terribly. Mine would move at least 1" without any resistance before I rebuilt it.

In reality, with the 07 RTX the rebound damping from the center shock was far, far to weak even when new. Even with a perfectly good 07 RTX center shock (as shipped), it doesn't have enough damping to keep the kick back under control (sled isn't stable on rough trails when ridden aggressively). Increasing the rebound damping on the center shock provides the single biggest improvement in rough trail control with the 07 RTX (although while you're in there you may as well revalve the compression side of both skid shocks so the sled doesn't bottom out anymore and to get rid of the harshness on small stutter bumps also).

I think I will get the shocks rebuilt at the end of the season . Where is everyone going and what does it usually cost ? I'm sure there is a couple of places to go but I thought I saw on here that someone went to the YAMAHA snowcross guy but I can't remember who that is and they loved the job and P.R.

I am going to get mine rebuild at the end of the season. It is suprizing that Yami has never logged any complaints on there sleds, the person I spoke too had never heard of delaminating boogies or premature hypax where. WOW! I must be the only one! LOL!

Broke a strap earlier today. ~ 2,500 miles

-- had been up-one-hole since new; Revalve @ ~650 miles.

spendy for replacements straps @ $53/each.

Back