• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clear Trail Tank

Daranello

Suspended
Will they "Yellow" like some of the other clear tanks on the market???

Anyone have one from last year, how did look after a year and do you wish you went with Black. Also is there any other disavantage to getting clear?

Want to mount on a Blue XTX...

Thanks D

adaptor.jpg

HPIM1939.jpg

t_post-3468-1227157210_175.jpg

i only bought mine over the summer. (mine is the lower pic in your post). the gentleman that owns the sled in the pic above mine is from alaska and has had his since last year. he could better answer your question on the yellowing.

from what i have gathered from the company, they are trying a new type of plastic and it is not supposed to accept the fuel vapors and uv light as readily as older units. but, time will tell.

i really like the clear tanks, it lets you see exactly how much fuel is in there. you dont have to guess or rely on a guage. i will be draining my tank after the last ride, and i will be leaving the fuel cap off to let vapors escape. also i will be putting a cover of some sort over the tank itself (like a bra) to prevent the uv light from degrading the coloring, while in storage.

i store my sleds indoors so i shouldnt have too much of a problem with them. i think the clear/white really sets the sleds off better than the black humdrum tanks. but that is just my personal preference. ski

The rep at Haydays told me they would yellow over time - I believe he said it was due to UV light, but don't quote me on that.

Here - I pulled this off their website.

February 12, 2008
TrailTankTM anounces the use of a new polyethylene plastic material which has a much clearer tone to it. Our original polyethylene material had a much more yellow hue and would continue to yellow with use.

Your welcome.

Here's more - doesn't really concern you, but someone may benefit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR YAMAHA TRAILTANK ONLY
UPDATED November 12, 2008
ATTN: CUSTOMERS AND DEALERS
We need to let you know about some recently discovered issues on our Nytro TrailTanks.
For those of you who have purchased our tanks for the MTX NYTRO model, they have a heat exchanger with coolant lines that are conflicting with our tank. We had designed this tank around an RTX and were unaware of this difference until last week. Some of you may have made it work anyway as have some of our dealers. Please contact us for help with any issues regarding this change.
For all 09 Nytro models, there are three issues with the fuel gauge sending unit.
1. The hole spacing in the mountiung plate is slightly tighter and is keeping some guys from getting all the bolts started without enlarge two of the holes.
2. The lip on the mounting plate is about 1/32" deeper which has kept the oring from sealing on some of our tanks. We will send you a thicker oring if you contact us with your address.
3. The float road assembly is positioned lower on the 09 assemblies compared to the 08 assembly we used for our design. This may cause your gauge to read 2 bars and NOT CAUSE THE LOW FUEL LIGHT to come on. This can be fixed by giving your rod a slight bend upward until it reads 1 bar and the light comes on. You can do this by draining your tank below the fuel pump opening, removing the fuel pump, and reaching through that hole to access the float rod.
PLEASE CONTACT US WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS WITH THESE ISSUES. WE ARE RECASTING PART OF OUR MOLD TO RECTIFY ALL THESE ISSUES. THE NEW TANKS WILL BE READY FOR SHIPPING THE FIRST WEEK OF DECEMBER.
WE SINCERELY APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE AS IT IS OUR GOAL TO PROVIDE YOU WITH A QUALITY PRODUCT ABSENT OF THE SORT OF ISSUES WE ARE NOW EXPERIENCING.
THANK YOU.

No, so far I've not noticed any yellowing of my tank (my sled is the #88). I store my rig in a shed with the factory cover but it isn't in total darkness by any means. I've stored my '02 Ski-doo Zx 440 the same way since it was new and its clear tank has not yellowed but maybe it's a different type of plastic?

My buddy had an '01 Polaris 800 Edge with a clear tank and stored it outside, no cover for several summers in a row. As I recall, his tank did take on a different color but the main thing was the sunlight rotted the fuel pick-up line inside his tank.

I actually have an old 1981 Blizzard MX that came stock with a clear tank and visually the tank has weird cracks in it and it somewhat discolored. The sled was sitting outside on a trailer for who knows how many years when I bought it to restore. The premix gas in the tank had evaporated and made a mess that was a bit of a pain to clean up but the tank doesn't leak. To the eye you'd think the tank would leak with the cracks that are visible but it doesn't. Kinda weird.

Best bet, keep your sled covered and out of direct sun light. Your plastic skis will benefit far more than your tank!

I run a lot of aftermarket tanks on my off-road bikes and I have found that race gas and especially OCTANE BOOST added to the gas will turn a tank yellow instantly.

Run straight gas and I bet it will stay clear for a long time.

ScottyR said:
I run a lot of aftermarket tanks on my off-road bikes and I have found that race gas and especially OCTANE BOOST added to the gas will turn a tank yellow instantly.

Run straight gas and I bet it will stay clear for a long time.

Will isoprober (spelling) gas line antifreeze and Staibal do the same as Octane boost?

tank

How easy was the install? Did you have to remove any seat foam, or just a bolt on and transfer of sending unit?

Daranello said:
ScottyR said:
Isophrophyl will not hurt the tank.

NEVER put Klotz Octane Boost in a clear tank. It will turn it brown instantly.

And in summer leave the tank full with Staibil is OK???

I would suck it as dry as possible. Throw a cover on the sled as well. UV rays dont agree with the clear tanks as well.

Re: tank

wigyami said:
How easy was the install? Did you have to remove any seat foam, or just a bolt on and transfer of sending unit?

No seat foam is removed. You will note that the two tank side panels are not required with the new tank.

Skill wise, I would say it is a little bit more difficult than changing a battery. Certainly more time consuming and a bit more patience may be required because of the gaskets and alignment for panels and plate holes. But I would not consider it difficult.

Back