• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder TD power trail stock muffler tune

If you just trail ride and not into big speed, the sm tune is fine, but they lack top speed imo. I've tried quite a few mufflers and the best by far when comparing decibels vs horsepower is the TD SQ. Quiet at trail speeds, yet flows very well and makes good power. Very durable, cheap price point, and factory heatshields can be put on for that stock appearance.

If you just trail ride and not into big speed, the sm tune is fine, but they lack top speed imo. I've tried quite a few mufflers and the best by far when comparing decibels vs horsepower is the TD SQ. Quiet at trail speeds, yet flows very well and makes good power. Very durable, cheap price point, and factory heatshields can be put on for that stock appearance.
I am on the fence looking for something to run with my 270 Hurricane R tune. My brother has a TD SQ on his and it's not bad for trail riding but I could almost use/prefer something a tad quieter. My other consideration was the Hurricane trail muffler which is on sale now and can be purchased for same money as TD. Have you had any experience with Hurricane muffler compared to others? Is it quieter than the TD SQ on trail? I am concerned with packing blowing out of some of these mufflers over time. Situation I'm in now is I have a 2.5" sandale with about 5k on it and it's way louder now than first few seasons. Much louder than the TD SQ now.. I even added a drone buster to see if that would help and it doesn't appear to quiet it down much. Time for a new muffler.

I just upgraded today from the 240SS Hurricane SM tune to the 270 with Blow off valve and Hurricane trail muffler. I already have the weights and 3D map sensor. To be honest, I loved the 240SM pull, but I thought it lacked a little on the bottom and that is why I am bumping it up a notch and run the 270 and trail muffler. I don't really care about top end, I just want it to get there in a hurry. I will let you know how it goes this winter.

NNo
I am on the fence looking for something to run with my 270 Hurricane R tune. My brother has a TD SQ on his and it's not bad for trail riding but I could almost use/prefer something a tad quieter. My other consideration was the Hurricane trail muffler which is on sale now and can be purchased for same money as TD. Have you had any experience with Hurricane muffler compared to others? Is it quieter than the TD SQ on trail? I am concerned with packing blowing out of some of these mufflers over time. Situation I'm in now is I have a 2.5" sandale with about 5k on it and it's way louder now than first few seasons. Much louder than the TD SQ now.. I even added a drone buster to see if that would help and it doesn't appear to quiet it down much. Time for a new muffler.
I dont have any experience with Hurricane trail muffler, my Hurricane sled runs sm tunes.

I have over 9k miles on my SQ Muffler mounted on my TD sled. It's all metal and no packing needed, hence it will never burn out.

STAIN makes a great point. I tuned my Zuke ZR9 to 300hp, added lots of instrumentation, TAPP clutch, head studs, mod stock turbo, trips to the dyno, etc., etc. It was a lot of fun and the sled is a real weapon. With that said, it takes time and energy dealing with the sled to maintain its performance. This season I want to log lots of miles and not think about all of things mentioned above. When my new Tcat arrives, it will remain bone stock except for traction, high windshield and mirrors. I am looking for a gas and go situation this year. I have been modifying my sleds since my first Yamaha SS433 in the early 1970's. Maybe I am getting old. LOL.

What about a mod stock muffler? I run Sandales mod stock and it is pretty quiet and makes decent power.

STAIN makes a great point. I tuned my Zuke ZR9 to 300hp, added lots of instrumentation, TAPP clutch, head studs, mod stock turbo, trips to the dyno, etc., etc. It was a lot of fun and the sled is a real weapon. With that said, it takes time and energy dealing with the sled to maintain its performance. This season I want to log lots of miles and not think about all of things mentioned above. When my new Tcat arrives, it will remain bone stock except for traction, high windshield and mirrors. I am looking for a gas and go situation this year. I have been modifying my sleds since my first Yamaha SS433 in the early 1970's. Maybe I am getting old. LOL.
I'm with you on NOT getting into that much work and/or maintenance. I was saying the same thing when I brought my 2020 Tcat home. I said I am not going to touch it and 300 miles later, I added the 240SS SM tune, weights and 3 bar map sensor. IMO, I am going to try the 270 PM tune this year, but I may end up just running the 240SS PM tune as its pretty much gas and go. Local trails I may just run the 270 and then on trips turn it down to 240. I think the PM muffler is needed to help clean up the bottom end. If you make these types of changes you really aren't doing much maintenance then what is still required to keep these sleds running anyways. They still have issues regardless. Eventually, you will still need to fix all the other issues that plague these sleds like the drive axle bearing and top gear bushings... etc... If you can keep power down to acceptable levels, where you can still utilize the stock clutches, then the lower tunes/small mods are well worth the gain.

Last edited:
I think the PM muffler and tune is needed, it will free up the bottom end.
I didnt find a big difference between my SM tune and the PTM tune on the bottom , it may have been the type of muffler I was running. Back to back with a 240 SS tune in a Tcat there was no difference on the bottom. In fact he would jump out on me on the hole shot on the lake. I had a 129 vs. the 137 but still...
SM tune vs PTM tune difference to me was on the top. Again, it could be the muffler I was running.
I have ridden a ZR9000 with PTM tunes AND the recommended muffler from that company, it is impressive, but loud.
I think the Tcat gearing ( 24-50) makes it more responsive on the tight trails than the Sidewinder gearing(21-41)
Those Tcats with the 240 ss stock muffler tunes are really strong trail runners, I ride with 2 of them and am impressed.

I didnt find a big difference between my SM tune and the PTM tune on the bottom , it may have been the type of muffler I was running. Back to back with a 240 SS tune in a Tcat there was no difference on the bottom. In fact he would jump out on me on the hole shot on the lake. I had a 129 vs. the 137 but still...
SM tune vs PTM tune difference to me was on the top. Again, it could be the muffler I was running.
I have ridden a ZR9000 with PTM tunes AND the recommended muffler from that company, it is impressive, but loud.
I think the Tcat gearing ( 24-50) makes it more responsive on the tight trails than the Sidewinder gearing(21-41)
Those Tcats with the 240 ss stock muffler tunes are really strong trail runners, I ride with 2 of them and am impressed.
Ya you are right, the gearing on the TCAT to me is perfect unless you like to see the most top end. I dont care about top end. The TCAT is geared to 118-120mph, max! However, what it does do is get there in a quick hurry with the 240SS tune. It rips through and past the 100mph mark, like the blink of the eye and that is what it is great for trail riding. 129 vs a 137 is a big difference in traction, combined with the TCAT gearing and it will pull harder then a Yamaha 129", from bottom end for sure. If it does NOT do what I think it should or is NOT much of a gain, then I will sell the muffler and go back to SM tune!

Last edited:
I too started out saying, I’m staying stock for once! You know what, these tunes may be too easy and as many have said before me, Boost is addicting!

Yep, stayed stock for a whole season almost!
Then came the Dealer’s special set up, machined clutches, modded stock exhaust and a TD EcoTrail tune.

Next year I upgraded to the 2 Bar Max Spool 16 tune! Now that one was a big leap from the other.
Next year I upgraded to the 3 Bar Max Spool 16 tune! Cleaner running tune.
Now I upgrade tune again. Bought a TD SQ 2.5” and will get a free flash from TD once I drop it off at the dealer!

Just can’t wait to try this one out, once I dial in the clutches AGAIN!!

YEP, Boost is Addicting!
And add vents to the belly pan if adding tunes!

Last edited:
As we all know, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Too much power is almost enough power LOL

I like a quiet sled but you are missing out on performance with a tune and stock muffler. Even if you just get the stock muffler mod helps allot.
You are not missing on power since the tunes are set for specific muffler, but if you buy a tune that was programmed to run on modified exhaust and you chose to run stock exhaust then yes, you will leave some HP on the table

I too started out saying, I’m staying stock for once! You know what, these tunes may be too easy and as many have said before me, Boost is addicting!

Yep, stayed stock for a whole season almost!
Then came the Dealer’s special set up, machined clutches, modded stock exhaust and a TD EcoTrail tune.

Next year I upgraded to the 2 Bar Max Spool 16 tune! Now that one was a big leap from the other.
Next year I upgraded to the 3 Bar Max Spool 16 tune! Cleaner running tune.
Now I upgrade tune again. Bought a TD SQ 2.5” and will get a free flash from TD once I drop it off at the dealer!

Just can’t wait to try this one out, once I dial in the clutches AGAIN!!

YEP, Boost is Addicting!
And add vents to the belly pan if adding tunes!
Same happened to me started with eco, cai, weights and bov. Then last year I went with MS 17 added the 3 bar, headers, closed loop and got more weights. And then this summer i got the SQ 3" and got myself TAPP primary and STM secondary. Can't wait for snow!!!

You will like the TAPP clutch. Combined with a STM or PRO4 secondary it is the smoothest clutch I ever had. Then again, for what it cost it should be.

Same happened to me started with eco, cai, weights and bov. Then last year I went with MS 17 added the 3 bar, headers, closed loop and got more weights. And then this summer i got the SQ 3" and got myself TAPP primary and STM secondary. Can't wait for snow!!!
Wow you went with a very fast combo. Header , 17 and closed loop. Once clutched correctly it will be a monster with it’s over 300hp!

Back