• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

clutch noise

is it normal for the yamaha clutch to make a humming vibrating noise at certain rpm's . its loud and annoying , certain rpms it doesn't do it and others it does .

Ya mine too. Its gota be the harmonics of the motor.. None of my other triples or my turbo Apex did it though...

It was a problem with the Vector too. After talking to Tom Hartman I would have to agree with him when he says the culprit is the splined coupling of crankshaft to output shaft. Putting a P-85 on a Nytro does not solve the problem.

My clutch was brutally loud. I read a thread on SnoWest about having the spyder gear shimmed. I had my dealer install the shim. It is significantly quieter but still not as quiet as any other sled I have owned. The shim was about 2 bucks but an hour labour to do the install.

Summitseeker said:
My clutch was brutally loud. I read a thread on SnoWest about having the spyder gear shimmed. I had my dealer install the shim. It is significantly quieter but still not as quiet as any other sled I have owned. The shim was about 2 bucks but an hour labour to do the install.

I know what you're saying. The splined coupling has its benefits but the noise is a pain in the #*$&@. Doesn't seem to affect the clutches. One more thing that could use improving on the Nytro. Seems very "un-Japanese".

The floating secondary does a lot to minimize belt offset problems. Leads to a more efficient power transfer (less friction and heat). Give and take I guess.

If you are talking about the metallic and rattling noise it comes from the external spacer/shims on the main bolt of the secondary.

They are free to move but hits each other and make noise.
I put a small piece of elettric tape to keep togheter the shims but leaving them free to move togheter.
The noise stop.

I'll take a picture and post it.

Ciao

WolfOne said:
If you are talking about the metallic and rattling noise it comes from the external spacer/shims on the main bolt of the secondary.

I put a small piece of elettric tape to keep togheter the shims but leaving them free to move togheter.
The noise stop.

Ciao

mine seems to be coming from the primary . i could be wrong though , i'm looking forward to a picture .

It's the primary. Take the secondary off......and it's still there. Then take the primary off and hear how quiet it gets. Quick revving too!!!

WolfOne said:

The noise stop.

Ciao

WolfOne, hows the snow over there?

Back