• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch rpms

Sportfury

Extreme
Website
jakesauto.com
I have a 07 Attak baught new. I have always had a problem with the rpms shifting out around 9800 to 10200 max. Two of my buddies have the same year make and model.there rpms stock would go to 10400 to 10600. Two of us intalled Ulmer Stage 2 Kits it made a huge gain in low and mid but I was always down 400 to 600 RPMS. When I installed Brians clutch my RPMS went right up and everthing seemed ausome. It woke my whole sled up and Flew!!!. I put everthing back to stock and took it back to my dealer which is still under waranty. They are trying to tell me that 9800 to 10200 is acceptable and there is nothing wrong with my primary. any thaughts on this or what can i tell them. I have done alot of A B testing to prove that ther is something wrong with my primary. Does anyone know what the stock rpm is without any modds.

I believe 10,600 is ideal. Some are at 11,000+.

You may have to take some weight out of the primary. This will get your RPM's up??

One of the clutch gods will chime in soon though.

There are definitely big tolerances on the primary clutches with some sleds.

My last sled (05 RX-1) always engaged high (4200+) and revved low through mid (9200) and a little too high on top (10400). This was stock.

When I installed the Ulmer Stage III kit it took a lot of tuning to get everything dialed in. Once I did, it worked flawlessly (4000 engagement and 10,200 everywhere else). I spoke to Gary and Alen Ulmer about this and they told me they've seen some big variations in some of the machining on some clutches.

Maybe your dealer will replace the clutch, but most likely they'll claim it is "fine" as is.

You should be able to dial it in with Ulmer's adjustable weights if you are willing to take the time. Give Alen or Gary a call. They are very good at suggesting what to change to compensate for a "different" clutch.

My 07 RTX is a little different than other RTX's also. It engages at 3300 and at WOT starts at about 10,400 and climbs to over 11,000 rpm. It is also stock (but I'm thinking of doing something to lower the top speed rpms).

They don't RPM till you get a bunch of miles on them. I have one sled that turned 10,700 in 200 miles and another that wouldn't turn 10,700 for over 750 miles. There is nothing wrong with you clutch. It just needs the engine broken in. When you get the miles piled on, stock clutching will be spot on. 10,700 is the sweet spot as you have found. Below 10,400 and they are a bit weaker. RIDE, RIDE, RIDE! It needs broken in, can't get ridden sitting at the dealer. My Attak finally runs now @2000 miles, and I broke it in hard too! At 800 miles it would only turn 10,200 and buddies F7 would outrun me. That same F7 is now not even a race and my machine turns 11,000-11,100 using stock clutching, which is too high now. I have to use 1.5 gram washer added to the tip of stock weights, or my Pro-Line clutching to get it down to 10,700 where I want it.

And it only pulls stock clutching to 10,200 on a long pull?

Put in the Ulmer clutching and get it to spin 10,700. His set up is very adjustable. Make sure your rollers are good in the drive clutch too.

Sportfury said:
I have a 07 Attak baught new. I have always had a problem with the rpms shifting out around 9800 to 10200 max. Two of my buddies have the same year make and model.there rpms stock would go to 10400 to 10600. Two of us intalled Ulmer Stage 2 Kits it made a huge gain in low and mid but I was always down 400 to 600 RPMS. When I installed Brians clutch my RPMS went right up and everthing seemed ausome. It woke my whole sled up and Flew!!!. I put everthing back to stock and took it back to my dealer which is still under waranty. They are trying to tell me that 9800 to 10200 is acceptable and there is nothing wrong with my primary. any thaughts on this or what can i tell them. I have done alot of A B testing to prove that ther is something wrong with my primary. Does anyone know what the stock rpm is without any modds.
There's nothing wrong with your primary clutch. If you really want the rpm jacked up on your stock clutch then you'll need to lighten up the tip. However, as you've already heard you'll likely be adding the weight back in as your engine breaks in. I don't know what an Ulmer weight setup is but if it's adjustable then maybe you need it and then you'll be able to chase your rpm as your engine breaks in. I think the outer rivet on your stock fly weight is about 4.5 grams...pop it out at the tip and you should see about a 500rpm jump (give or take a 100rpm) on the tach. Just remember, you'll be putting it back in at some point.

Watch your gas OCTANE, stock sleds DO NOT like higher octane fuels...ONLY use 87 no higher...I'm talking from experience I couldn't get more than 9800 to 10.000 on my RX1 '05 t'ill someone past me this info and I said he's full of it t'ill I actually drained my tank of 92 octane and filled up with 87 and POW...back up in the 10.200 to 10.500 right on the money!

My '08 is running on 87 and its toping 10.700 to 10.900.....11.000 on extra long runs!

Use ONLY 87 octane in STOCK motor, save money and better performance!

Cltuch rpms

the dealer just called and said that 9800 shifting up 10100 is ok and there is nothing he can do the sled has 2100 miles with the stock clutch back in 10100 to 10200 MAX is all I can get out of it. I know that buy pulling weights out of the tip I can bring the rpms up BUT!!! am i covering up a problem with the primary. I instaled a freinds stock clutch and wamo the rpms are 10500 to 10700 . Ulmer says that sled should tach out around 10500 to 10700 STOCK. I would like to call Yamaha on this when the buck stops at the dealer where do we go.Any body have a phone # to Yamaha's customer service.

Re: Cltuch rpms

Sportfury said:
the dealer just called and said that 9800 shifting up 10100 is ok and there is nothing he can do the sled has 2100 miles with the stock clutch back in 10100 to 10200 MAX is all I can get out of it. I know that buy pulling weights out of the tip I can bring the rpms up BUT!!! am i covering up a problem with the primary. I instaled a freinds stock clutch and wamo the rpms are 10500 to 10700 . Ulmer says that sled should tach out around 10500 to 10700 STOCK. I would like to call Yamaha on this when the buck stops at the dealer where do we go.Any body have a phone # to Yamaha's customer service.

So you have tried a STOCK STOCK clutch of your friends? Did you put your STOCK STOCK clutch on his sled at the same time? This should narrow down your problem.

I RECENTLY HAD TAKEN MY APEX IN TO MY DEALER AFTER CUTTING THE EXHAUST OPEN AND MODDING IT. IT WOULDNT REV HIGHER THAN 9K RPM. THEY CHARGD ME 900 TO REPLACE EXHAUST THEY SAID SOMETHIN ABOUT BACK PRESSURE DAMAGING EXHAUST VALVES SO I ONLY DO CLUTCHING

apexmonkey69 said:
I RECENTLY HAD TAKEN MY APEX IN TO MY DEALER AFTER CUTTING THE EXHAUST OPEN AND MODDING IT. IT WOULDNT REV HIGHER THAN 9K RPM. THEY CHARGD ME 900 TO REPLACE EXHAUST THEY SAID SOMETHIN ABOUT BACK PRESSURE DAMAGING EXHAUST VALVES SO I ONLY DO CLUTCHING

You've been had.

Back