• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CLUTCHING ANSWER!!!!

How far down did it pull the rpms? Might be just the ticket for me. I have a old 8dn with a cord starting to pull out I might cut that off and give it a go just for grins....

I think it may be surprising how much the 8jp does slip. My rpm is spot on and I'm getting full shift on the clutching but I still have a decent amount of belt dust every time I ride..shows up very easily on the white tunnel and inside the side panel. A belt that grips better will bring down rpm. That explains why the people that have already switched to the 8dn are claiming more mid range and more top speed.

DeerHuntr said:
How far down did it pull the rpms? Might be just the ticket for me. I have a old 8dn with a cord starting to pull out I might cut that off and give it a go just for grins....

Looked like it brought mine down about 400

I know that clutching doesn't have anything to do with the chassis but to the guys who are now running the 8dn, can you feel a much more instant down low grunt with the new belt? We all complain a lot about lack of weight transfer but possibly we are all experiencing belt slippage and it is making it feel as the the chassis isn't performing well? Just a thought

DeerHuntr said:
800 to 900 RPM'S way to much

Studroes144 said:
I know that clutching doesn't have anything to do with the chassis but to the guys who are now running the 8dn, can you feel a much more instant down low grunt with the new belt? We all complain a lot about lack of weight transfer but possibly we are all experiencing belt slippage and it is making it feel as the the chassis isn't performing well? Just a thought[/quote

Get a clutch kit and it will work just fine , but to answer your question no the r's are two low and loose more low end I think
I've been f-in with this for two days so just my .02 but stick with a 8jp and get a clutch kit that works and have fun

Had a clutch kit since sled had 100 miles and it works..doesn't have anything to do with how the belt performs which to me seems poor. Sure the belt will prolly last for a long time but I'd rather have one that grips better and maybe sacrifice a bit of longevity even tho our previous yamaha sleds all still have/had original belts on them. I'm on my 3rd belt trying to keep it from giving off so much dust

440 miles on mine now and I'm seeing some belt dust but nothing out of the ordinary I don't think. Maybe the white bellypan and tunnel are making it look worse than it is.?

Studroes144 said:
Had a clutch kit since sled had 100 miles and it works..doesn't have anything to do with how the belt performs which to me seems poor. Sure the belt will prolly last for a long time but I'd rather have one that grips better and maybe sacrifice a bit of longevity even tho our previous yamaha sleds all still have/had original belts on them. I'm on my 3rd belt trying to keep it from giving off so much dust
Try a gates G-Force belt it's almost the same as the ultimax xs805

DeerHuntr said:
440 miles on mine now and I'm seeing some belt dust but nothing out of the ordinary I don't think. Maybe the white bellypan and tunnel are making it look worse than it is.?
Yeah it's not anymore than normal , white shows a lot

Well trying 3 different clutch set ups and going through4 belts I figured and my dealer figured we had better try something. For me the 8DN belt solved all my clutch problems with just as much pull and great take off and good top speed. I don't know why I couldn't keep a 8JP belt on for more than 350 miles. Why they changed a great thing is beyond me. But the stock Viper belt just does not work for me. :o|

YamahaTim said:
Well trying 3 different clutch set ups and going through4 belts I figured and my dealer figured we had better try something. For me the 8DN belt solved all my clutch problems with just as much pull and great take off and good top speed. I don't know why I couldn't keep a 8JP belt on for more than 350 miles. Why they changed a great thing is beyond me. But the stock Viper belt just does not work for me. :o|
Well you also have a turbo so you have more power than most .

09nytro said:
YamahaTim said:
Well you also have a turbo so you have more power than most .

Ya that's probably why I went through 4 belts! But when it runs it's fun as hell!! :Rockon:

I just want it to stay running good. Now I have another problem. Different post. Turbo and motor just fine! Everything else no good. Clutch and oil check valve. Oh well I have put a lot of miles on. Hope to get 6000 for the year!

I stored my sled in a heated basement. 1600 miles now and I bet I've washed it atleast 15 times. Every time it gets the same amount of belt dust on the tunnel. I've cleaned the inside white panel under the clutches several times and it keeps filling up with dust. Our previous sleds (apex and nytro) did have belt dust..but I've had more in 1600 miles than the apex had at 4500 when I sold it. The white does show everything but to me the dust is much worse than previous yammis. From what I'm understanding, the dn and jp belts are the same just different length and the dn has a slightly bigger surface contact area. I have compared the two myself just going off what I've heard. More grip out of these really hard belts would be great, better performance and still have the long life they give.

Back