• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CLUTCHING ANSWER!!!!

MrSled said:
You are talking about the standard 8dn belt?? The Viper has an 8DN with a different suffix...

Yes, same old belt. I used my extra belt that I am sure was left over from my Nytro.

Just not sure if it's worth buy a $100 belt if I'm not having any issues but at the same time if it's making the sled pull harder it's certainly worth it[/quote]

Thats the beauty of the 8DN--it's only $65-$75

STAIN said:
Just not sure if it's worth buy a $100 belt if I'm not having any issues but at the same time if it's making the sled pull harder it's certainly worth it

Thats the beauty of the 8DN--it's only $65-$75[/quote]

If your not having any rpm problems or high speed issues, then it might not help. I was having issues and put the 8DN in there and it worked great. So I put a thread on it so people could try it. Mine pulls harder than it did by around three mph faster in the same distance. My thread was clutching problems and not keeping top speed or or something like that. And there is some good info in there.

YamahaTim said:
STAIN said:
Just not sure if it's worth buy a $100 belt if I'm not having any issues but at the same time if it's making the sled pull harder it's certainly worth it

If your not having any rpm problems or high speed issues, then it might not help. I was having issues and put the 8DN in there and it worked great. So I put a thread on it so people could try it. Mine pulls harder than it did by around three mph faster in the same distance. My thread was clutching problems and not keeping top speed or or something like that. And there is some good info in there.[/quote]

What your saying is try it if you are having inconsistency on your Viper clutching speeds...try it. ;):D

MrSled said:
YamahaTim said:
STAIN said:

If your not having any rpm problems or high speed issues, then it might not help. I was having issues and put the 8DN in there and it worked great. So I put a thread on it so people could try it. Mine pulls harder than it did by around three mph faster in the same distance. My thread was clutching problems and not keeping top speed or or something like that. And there is some good info in there.

What your saying is try it if you are having inconsistency on your Viper clutching speeds...try it. ;):D

Well ya, I'm sure 95% of people on here have a 8DN sitting around there garage. I'm mean if it ain't broke don't fix it ;)!

But it might be worth it to give it a shot to see if it improves your sleds performance. :moon: :moon:

MrSled said:
YamahaTim said:
STAIN said:

In my case the sides of the belt were not wore flat like every other Yamaha belt I have used but this one was concave. After looking at the Viper belt and the 8DN side by side the 8DN has a noticeable amount of surface over the Viper belt. My conclusion is the Viper belt is collapsing on occasion, and if this is true I assume it would effect everybody eventually.

In my case it gave a boost big enough for the long track Viper to run even up from standing start on snow packed road to 40mph against my 2014 M8. Friend with RX1 was amazed and said he it took off just like his RX1. But your mileage may vary (as the saying goes)

I have inconsistent rpm's only in deep snow and I am running a turbo. I only see 8400-8500 in deep powder. I go into the hard pack and it goes right up to 8900-9000. I am going to throw on a Nytro belt and see what happens. This is something easy to try.

Do you have to do anything special? Someone said shim something on the back of the clutch? Or can I just throw an 8dn on an see what happens?

Blown Up said:
I have inconsistent rpm's only in deep snow and I am running a turbo. I only see 8400-8500 in deep powder. I go into the hard pack and it goes right up to 8900-9000. I am going to throw on a Nytro belt and see what happens. This is something easy to try.

That's what mine was doing. It would change though and I was breaking belts. Now with the 8DN it runs 8500-8600 rpm consistent. I need to take a little weight out and then I'll be running 8800 rpm. Bit it's in powder or trail. It runs max rpm no matter the condition.

RacinJason15 said:
Do you have to do anything special? Someone said shim something on the back of the clutch? Or can I just throw an 8dn on an see what happens?

I know this is not my thread, but I also have one on this so I will try and help.
I don't know the exact width the washer needs to be, but put them in the secondary and that way the 8DN will ride higher and account for the longer belt. Once you shim it make sure you have proper belt deflection. Then once you do go test it and you will be happy! :-o

RacinJason15 said:

While I had the secondary off I grabbed some washers and put enough in to have the belt ride just over the edge of the secondary. Like just the ribs above the lip. Tim how did you set yours?

Back