• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching For Dummies

rindtj

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I am interested in learning about clutching, but admittedly know absolutely nothing. I really want to learn what each component of clutching actually does, primary, secondary, helix. And what modifications do to affect these parts of the sled, and how these mods affect performance.

Also wondering what is best to do buy components and mess with them (assuming I begin to know my way around clutching), or just buying a clutch kit.

Thanks for any help guys, sorry if it seems really trivial just trying to learn my way a bit. Assume I know nothing and explain things in the most basic easy to understand manner.

Thanks,

p.s. I am not trying to become a guru, just another fun way to tweak the sled and spend some time around it. ;)!

Start by buying Olav Aaen's Clutch Tuning Handbook http://www.amazon.com/Olav-Aaens-clutch ... B0006R954Y

I would also recommend purchasing a kit from a reputable company (such as Ulmer), rather than buying components. You will spend several thousdands of dollars by the time your done buying different weights, springs, rollers, helix's.

The Aaen book will be very good reading and give you a good foundation for clutching 101.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have done a little research and am starting to understand (barely) what is going on, and I am currently looking to get one of the books.

But here is my next question, I have looked at kits to by and I want to know which one you feel I should get, I am deciding between the Ulmer Stage II and Sledwerx's Trail Terminator. Ulmer appeals because I know the rep. he has around here and the kit is supposed to be pretty nice. The Trail Terminator uses Dalton components like the Proline, which I hear are the best. It is my understanding that the Trail Terminator a lot like a "trail" Proline that is highly adjustable. Any tips, I know that Ulmer's kit lends itself to beginners, but if the Dalton components are that good I am willing to struggle for a little while to dial it in.

Thanks for any advice,

Jimmy

:Rockon:

Pick ulmer for his support & high end components. Can,t beat the advant-edge helix,s he uses in his kits.

I just bought Heel Clicker Drag'n Flies this fall. Just at the top of this section there are some good starter "recipes" to begin with.

I'm like you -- a real novice when it comes to clutching, but this is the year I start to overcome my apprehension about touching my clutches!!!!

Mike

tell you what i know bout 4 stroke clutch kits. unless your racing leave it alone. the stock clutching is very good.

WTF????? That is the most wrong statement i have ever seen posted on this website. I have also seen a lot of bad advice but this raises the bar!!!

swmichvector said:
tell you what i know bout 4 stroke clutch kits. unless your racing leave it alone. the stock clutching is very good.

Really LMAO. They do work just not at their best.

Turk said:
WTF????? That is the most wrong statement i have ever seen posted on this website. I have also seen a lot of bad advice but this raises the bar!!!

LOL You see now why you need to write that clutching handbook? :jump:

swmichvector said:

Have to agree. In todays standards, Yamaha has closed the gap considerably compared to older Yamies. Its easy to gain on the bottom end, but if not compensated with extra traction, their is really not much benefit and becomes a game of trade off.
I'm not knocking down anybodies clutching ability, but if people aren't counting tenths of a second in a drag race, money could be spent in better mods IMHO.

Dan

Sooo
Your ok with the fact stock Yamaha cluthing overshift at holeshot & then takes 3-400' to recover or that when you take them into deep snow they underrev by over 1000 rpm?
Thats some good clutching!!!

Dano said:
swmichvector said:

Have to agree. In todays standards, Yamaha has closed the gap considerably compared to older Yamies. Its easy to gain on the bottom end, but if not compensated with extra traction, their is really not much benefit and becomes a game of trade off.
I'm not knocking down anybodies clutching ability, but if people aren't counting tenths of a second in a drag race, money could be spent in better mods IMHO.

Dan

Is this a joke?? You must be kidding. I have NEVER purchased a sled of any manufacturer that the clutching was VERY GOOD. Those who drag race change clutching and engine tuning sometime by the hour or less when racing. The clutch setups suggested here, or are for sale by Ullmer or other's are for trail riders that are looking for their machine to function properly and efficiently...When something does that is is faster or quicker. So if your satisfied with your sled just moving across the snow, then yes, dont touch.

Back