• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold start, Flooding & Throttle Position

Soldier'spapa

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder Ltx LE 50th Anniversary
First of all I have not experienced any cold start issues, but have started this thread to gain some knowledge about the (New to me) fuel injected 4-strokes.

On most or all auto's, if a cold engine fails to start right away and begins to flood the engine with excess fuel, by depressing the gas pedal to the floor while cranking the starter, The computer recognizing the throttle position as open shuts off the flow of fuel through the injectors to clear out the excess fuel and introduce additional air. Many a nearly flooded car engine can be started using this procedure.

My question to the experts is: Will these fuel injected Yamaha 4-strokes also shut off the fuel flow if the throttle is pinned during cranking???

Looking at your UserName... I would like to thank you son for his service to our country. As far as starting, I found don"t touch the throttle when starting. Turn the key, wait for fuel pump motor to stop, then start. It should fire with no problem. Let idle till the temp light goes out, then its good to go. Hit the throttle and away you go. There alot of guys on this site that are very helpful and may give you a better job of answering your question. But I never touch the throttle till the light goes off. Never had a fouling problem yet.

Arctic Express said:
Looking at your UserName... I would like to thank you son for his service to our country. As far as starting, I found don"t touch the throttle when starting. Turn the key, wait for fuel pump motor to stop, then start. It should fire with no problem. Let idle till the temp light goes out, then its good to go. Hit the throttle and away you go. There alot of guys on this site that are very helpful and may give you a better job of answering your question. But I never touch the throttle till the light goes off. Never had a fouling problem yet.

You are correct about the user name.... I am no soldier, it's my boy. He served one tour in Iraq and is now awaiting orders. He has put in for MP duty in Alaska or Germany. We are all praying this is what he gets as Iraq is of course an option. I'll pass along your sentiments.

Thanks for your starting tips! This is the procedure I have used without fail. My question is more of a "What if" scenerio, to gain a better understanding of the electronics Yamaha utilizes. Also I posted this thread for the general good of all who might gain a better understanding of the fuel system.

Soldier'spapa I saw the pic's of your sled the other day, lucky your son was not hurt. Have u got that sled up and running (like a deer) yet haha. If I'm not mistaken he is asking- should the motor flood, if you open the throttle wide open when cranking will that shut off the fuel to clear the flooded condition.

01S XR700 said:
Soldier'spapa I saw the pic's of your sled the other day, lucky your son was not hurt. Have u got that sled up and running (like a deer) yet haha. If I'm not mistaken he is asking- should the motor flood, if you open the throttle wide open when cranking will that shut off the fuel to clear the flooded condition.

No! My sled is still in a state of limbo awaiting a dealer estimate of repairs. I'm hoping it gets totaled....should be close.

Yes, you are correct about my question: I would simply like to know that if the engine floods, by pinning the throttle open while cranking the starter, does the ECU shut off the injectors until the throttle is released.

Back