• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold start information

I believe by cycling it a couple times it moves fuel farther into the system, so when you finally turn the engine over the fuel system is primed (so to speak).

Been doing in on Nytro, and SW for years and it saves longer cranking times before firing for sure.

MS

Good information everyone......many thanks

This is a huge sore spot with me and irritates me to no end, as I think a snowmobile should be able to start down to -30c. My kids pro rmk starts 3 pulls or less every time down to -35c, not sure why yamaha can't make a machine that meant for driving in the cold to actually start in the cold. Especialy when most of my riding is -25c or colder. I thought technology was suposed to make things better. This cold start issue has me thinking that maybe my viper purchase was the wrong decision.
I have had these cold start issues with my btx since i bought it, last one was just the other day. It was -29c in the morning but i didn't try starting the sled until the temps reached -24c and it wouldn't go, and I always cycle the fuel pump several time before starting. Seemed to turn over much to slow so I hooked up a booster pack and it started right away. Battery is new this year also. I think its a low battery issue, as mentioned above, that causes the engine to crank over way to slow for things to start. I don't have power available where I park my sled in the yard so I have been tossing around the idea of installing a set of battery tender leads for a small solar panel that I have to hook it up and set it on the seat to maintain the battery for the days I dont drive it. But I like the idea of booster leads exiting the rear of the seat so a boster pack can easily be used during initial starting. Even though that shouldn't have to happen.

A lead acid battery loses 50% at -30C. It doesn't matter if it is fully charged at that temperature because fully charged is 50% of what it is at 20C. The Viper is a stinker to start generally anyways. I suggest using a booster pack at -20C and below as standard procedure. It is just the easier way and that way I'm not stressed and wound up before I even start my day.

I see you linked to a YK video. His viper videos should be required viewing for anyone considering a Viper in the north.

I just got back from a 4 day trip to Upper Michigan. One morning it dropped down to 0F and my ZR7000 took three tries to start. Cranked for about 10 seconds the first try and nothing.
Cranked about the same on the second try and it tried to start but didn't, fired up immediately on the third try. The battery cranked over fine on the first try and was labouring on the second. It started so fast on the third I couldn't tell.
Other than that it cold and hot started without fail the rest of the trip.

Anything below -15 f I hook up my 4amp charger to the pig tails I have out the back of the seat.half hour and it goes no problem

What I have learned for the last 24,000 miles riding vipers is to let the fuel pump cycle. Just turn the key for a second usually does not start. Next key turn for about 2 seconds and should start. Do not start and turn off quick this is usually when I have issues.
I saw the latest bulletin recently. They are saying to immediately crank the engine, forget about the fuel pump cycling. They also say as per someone else's post to keep cranking till it runs.

Nitro
Did the bulletin saw why not to cycle the fuel pump and has anyone tried this? If so what are the results

Nitro
Did the bulletin saw why not to cycle the fuel pump and has anyone tried this? If so what are the results
I don't think so. My dealer showed it to me, I will try to get a copy next time I go there.
As far as cycling goes, I think it's over rated. Just because a fuel pump doesn't cycle, doesn't mean for certain that the proper pressure isn't there in the system.
I've never done this on any of the fuel injected Yamahas I've owned.
Everybody jumps in their cars and trucks and fires them right up. I don't see why recreational vehicles should be treated different.

I saw the latest bulletin recently. They are saying to immediately crank the engine, forget about the fuel pump cycling. They also say as per someone else's post to keep cranking till it runs.
Worth a try, as I have always cycled the fuel pump even on my wifes attack. It's only -15c here today but I will give it a try when I get home tonight to see if it makes a difference.

stomper
let us know how it goes

Back