• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Complete Newbie Perspective

P.S.

I'm on the upper hole (closest to seat) of the drop down bracket.

REXX

adrenaline junkey said:
make the sled do all the work counter steer and lots of throttle i know it sounds a little bazaar but until ya manipulate the throttle tight carving will seem hard. ;)!

Speaking of throttle, do you find that you let off a bit before the turn then gun it, or just kinda play with it to keep the track spinning?

TonyD said:
adrenaline junkey said:
make the sled do all the work counter steer and lots of throttle i know it sounds a little bazaar but until ya manipulate the throttle tight carving will seem hard. ;)!

Speaking of throttle, do you find that you let off a bit before the turn then gun it, or just kinda play with it to keep the track spinning?

I tried letting off before i make my turn but 9 times outta 10 if i was standing on one side i would lose my balance due to engine breaking and fall off or screw up my turn so i opted to just give it more.

What works for me is to steer shift my weight and hit throttle at the same time. when trying to cut tight. If I'm just out cutting back and forth threw a meadow or in trees i can get by most times just counter steering and shifting my weight.
How tall are you? I'm 6 ft and i added a 2 inch riser and it made it a lot more comfy. I almost stand straight up with my arms bent at 90 degrees while setting . I also stand about a foot back from the front of the rails.

with 2" riser-did you disconnect the TORS or extend the throttle cable? I had one but it effected the TORS. I want to put it back on.

Thxs.

David :yam:

WANNA4STROKE said:
with 2" riser-did you disconnect the TORS or extend the throttle cable? I had one but it effected the TORS. I want to put it back on.

Thxs.

David :yam:
I had to do some rerouting and i loosend my throttle assembly and turned it down about 1/2 inch to avoid the tors syndrome. Just spent a few min messing with it till it no longer activated when i turned skis all the way to the right. If ya want i can snap a couple pic so you can see where i kinda have stuff set

OK - Finally, today, I was able to lean over the Apex with both feet on one side and carve a 90 degree turn!

:-o

It was just getting easy when a blister on my hand stole my motivation. But I am very confident now that after the next trip or two I will even be able to go 180 degrees or more.

The posts here really helped me stay motivated to get this far. I hope anyone else just starting out on an Apex Mountain reads this before getting discouraged. It is just a matter of practicing, and following the advice in this forum.

Man I am stoked! :Rockon:

TonyD said:
OK - Finally, today, I was able to lean over the Apex with both feet on one side and carve a 90 degree turn!

It was just getting easy when a blister on my hand stole my motivation. But I am very confident now that after the next trip or two I will even be able to go 180 degrees or more.

The posts here really helped me stay motivated to get this far. I hope anyone else just starting out on an Apex Mountain reads this before getting discouraged. It is just a matter of practicing, and following the advice in this forum.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!

The Apex is one of, if not, the Best sled on the Snow.

All it takes is a little patience and practice to learn how to ride it, before you know it you'll be doing circles around your buddies.

Where do you ride?

Blown14psi said:
TonyD said:

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!

The Apex is one of, if not, the Best sled on the Snow.

All it takes is a little patience and practice to learn how to ride it, before you know it you'll be doing circles around your buddies.

Where do you ride?

I ride in the Salt Lake City Utah area. Currently taking trips to the Strawberry River parking lot near the Strawberry Reservoir. It has HUGE wide open fields without any kind of hidden stumps etc. in it to practice carving. It also has plenty of trails and some big mountains to play on. I'm still a little shy of sidewinding the peaks, for now!

niko said:
One thing i must mention is the use of a left hand throttle, without it its real hard to boondock turning to the left as your hand comes off the right handle grip to try and get the hard lean you need. Ive found it sooo helpfull in the powder.

niko.

niko - The blister on my left hand agrees with you. What brand did you go with, and where did you get it?

TonyD said:
I ride in the Salt Lake City Utah area. Currently taking trips to the Strawberry River parking lot near the Strawberry Reservoir. It has HUGE wide open fields without any kind of hidden stumps etc. in it to practice carving. It also has plenty of trails and some big mountains to play on. I'm still a little shy of sidewinding the peaks, for now!

I know the area well.

Ride Five

I am happy to report that ride five was a dream come true. I was able to carve complete circles, and I even did a sharp carve while dragging one foot. Machine feels lighter than ever.

;)!

Next subject - Side Hilling. Anyone care to share their experience / technique?

Thanks!

Oh, and BTW, I saw at least 4 other Apex Mtn sleds (all red) out at Strawberry today. In fact I sold a spare belt to a guy with an Apex Mtn that fell into the river from a snow bridge collapse and got stuck / fried his belt. Anyone from this board out there today that I might have seen?

Back