• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crank case breather on TRX1

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
04 RX1 13 apex se 96 vmax 4 aerocharged
I have had this Alpine turbo RX1 since 2004 and never had this issue. My belt was slipping in waist deep snow and found oil was coming from the crank case breather and misting the belt. Has anyone routed it differently? I will have a look at it next weekend but curious as. To what others have done.

Hi, Merry New Year.
I re-routed my breather on my Apex to the opposite side away from the clutches for the same concern you described. Here is a photo of how I did mine, I originally just had the breather filter pop up next to the intercooler on the oil tank side under the hood but then eventually extended the hose routing it outside of the hood all together with a little Outerwears pre-filter on it.
I'm not totally familiar with how the Alpine configuration is on the right side of the engine on your RX1, but i'd think you could at least run the hose across under the carbs the same way to get it away from the clutch side... just try to not have any sagging droops or low spots that could trap moisture and freeze up when it sits over night. I've never had an issue and don't get any oil pushing out, very little blow-by and only a fine oily residue on the side panel from the mist that collects right around the filter, which wipes off. That is the same oily residue that doesn't play well with clutches and belts...

20180114_113213.jpg

Hey ! To you as well, and thanks for the help. I will try this

I need to re-do mine. LONG time ago I had the little plug filter thing you install in it from MPI and had that mist, and for reasons I don't understand I wrapped the end with a microfiber rag!! then ran it up in the nose cone area. Well this is the same sled that is now puking oil when I get into boost where I have been chasing a leak near the waterpump area and I have a new motor for it but now I am wondering maybe the vent was plugged! Its been like that for over 8 seasons and I just forgot about it. So I may take it out with the hole open and see if I still get puking oil. That probably wouldn't be my top bone head move on this sled but maybe close!

Long ago there was a company that made a sweet vent that mounted up by steering column and it had a filter on it and a compartment where oil vapor was trapped then connected to the valve cover through the oil fill hole. It was spendy and I was broke but I wished I bought it now. It was a very elegant solution.

Kinger,
I thought about something up by the handle bars but decided against putting anything in front of the rider where the oil mist and steam would waft back onto the rider. That catch can with a filter up by the handlebars still has to release pressure to the atmosphere through the vent filter, still going to get oily steam regardless.
Hence why I routed mine out the side.

Back