• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

dead battery end of the day

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
1992 Bravo 250 (my 7 year old now rides this beauty)
2007 Venture XL (passed it on to my dad)
2008 Venture MP
I know this is a really old thread, but I've be been looking all over for similar problem. I think I might have the same problem as Nordik and nhrxrider?

If I disconnect both of my headlights, my battery reads 14+, so its charging well. If I connect only one of my headlights (my sled has two), then my battery reads approx 13.6v. And if I connect both headlights , the battery reads about 12.7 initially, but after an hour or two of riding, its dead. This happens with a new battery too (at least it was new...). I didn't test much with the handwarmers, but from what I remember, they didn't make much difference.

So my stator could be bad/failing? Its not producing enough power to power everything (lights, pump, etc and still charge the battery)?

nhrxrider says he was getting 8v from two good legs. But i'm getting 14+ with my head lights disconnected.

I checked the ohms on my stator as per the service manual, and it all reads to spec. Is there any way to test the stator beyond checking the resistence? Is it possible to measure the voltage comming off each leg? Would that show if one leg is bad? There are three on my sled.

sounds like the coils on the stator are shorted to themselves so that they will show the voltage but are not putting out the wattage needed.

Thanks Contact,
That does make sense. I seem to get "good" voltage everywhere, but not enough wattage (ie, if something draws more amps, there just isn't enough there).

Is there a way to test/confirm that?
All three lines coming from the stator appear to be grounded. I assume that is normal for a stator?

If the coils are shorted, do you mean shorted together? Meaningthe 2 of the 3 coils are shorted? Or there are some shorts with in one of the coils, which effectively reduces the the power that coil can output?

at this point, given that everything else appears to check out ok, just replace the stator and see what happens?
I haven't looked to see how hard that is yet... This MP frame is a real pain to access anything.

Hey Darren,

If the three wires from the stator are grounded to the engine case when they are disconnected from the wiring harness the stator is toast.

Not the news you probably want to hear but at least the one root cause has been identified. You will have to check the reg/rect once the stator has been replaced. Not sure what measurements can be done with a meter on the reg/rect - manual may have a procedure.

Good luck!

Steve :flag:

PS: Check those pesky ground blocks for melting/discoloration and repair as needed. Lots of posts here on where they are located.

Last edited:
i was thinking of the coils being shorted internally to themselves. seen it a few times on heavy truck alternators that run a big light load. the widings get hot and melt the insulation off so they short inside the coil at some point. still put out the voltage when un loaded but drop off when load applied. i would replace with oe stator if you are keeping the sled. order a gasket for the cover while you are at it as i was not lucky when i did the one on the 09 phazer and tore it. keep the old stator as the crank shaft position sensor is known to go bad more often than the stator.

Back