• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dead Sled ....any ideas ---FIXED

JDKRXW

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
So I start my Warrior this morning, warm it up, ride it around a little and then gas it up. It's running fine and everything is working properly. Then, while driving it over to a buddies place to begin a ride, the speedo/tach is flickering on and off. I don't think too much of this....probably a loose plug that I'll check out when I stop (engine is running normally).
I get to my buddies place and shut the engine off. When I go to re-start, there is nothing. The key won't engage the starter (kill switch is in the run position). No clicks, nothing from under the hood. I checked all fuses (fine), and every plug under the hood I could fine (all good).
I unhooked the battery and tried starting the engine on booster cables only and still nothing.
Anyone have any ideas about where to look next???

I would start by looking for a short maybe at the front where others were having a shorting problem. I dont know the best way to perform ground leak checks but I am sure someone here will. Good Luck!

More than likely your starter fried from a bad relay. Have seen it a few times now. And if that is the case - their starters aint cheap.

Unfortunately, I think srxdude nailed it. Symptoms sound exactly like mine when I fried it last season. $459 OTD. Good luck!

If you're looking for the wires that short out in the front... under the toolbox you'll find the rectifier/voltage regulator. There are two TINY wires that may short out against a piece of sharp metal up there. I doubt that this is the problem though. When those wires shorted on mine, the engine would cut out and backfire.

Be carefull about trying to run your sled without a battery. If it had started and if one of the booster cables fell off or if you disconnected them with the sled running, it would have killed your voltage regulator. The service manual says so, and believe me from experience, that is the case.

This happend to my friends 03 RX in Canada last week. Everything was perfect, started up just like new drove fine...Then we shut it down on the trail to BS. Go to start it back up...And nothing...Totally dead.

So I pull the battery from my Warrior and touch it to his jumper wires and the sled fires right up. Went to the "Battery Store" got a new battery for $99 and it was as good as new. The guy at the store tested the battery and it came up as TOTALLY dead.

I guess these batteries are subject to alot of temperature and vibration, and they just don't last all that long.

Swap the battery and all should be well.

MJB

When I bought my warrior the battery in it was completely dead and I could jump start it and it would run but hte gauges would flicker and flash and go hey wire like you described. Hopefully thats just the problem.

QCRider said:
It's worth trying anyway in my opinion before I spend $500 on a starter.

I thought that too............so I drove 26 mi. to dealer, bought new battery, drove 26 back, install battery in sled.........THEN I had to load the dead beast and drive the 26 yet again, this time with the trailer. If it won't turn over with jumper cables, trust me........the battery ain't the problem!!!

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary :D

Edit: I forgot.........you haven't spent anything to get dealer to evaluate.....Then you find out how $$$$$$

Well, I guess maybe I'm just hoping for him that it is simple, and not the expensive problem you had. I know when the battery was dead on the Wife's Vector it did exactly what he said here. I did not try to jump it though, and especially not with the battery disconnected.

LazyBastard said:
You guys are missing the fact that it won't start on booster cables. That means that its NOT JUST a dead battery.

Sorry, I did miss that....

Ok, then. My next move would be just to jump over the starter solonoid/relay. Follow the red wire from the battery, and you'll see it bolted to the relay. Right next to that post is another post that has a wire that runs to the starter. Take a heavy gauge (of similar size to the battery cable) and jump the posts with a good battery hooked up to the sled.

This will bypass the relay and diretly engage the starter. If nothing happens then it's most likely the starter, possibly a ground strap fell off, etc, etc...

MJB

If he pulled the battery and tried to jump it, it might not start. I think there needs to be a complete circuit through the battery. I'd still try a new, or at least different, battery first.

Back