• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dealer Set Up or Factory Issues on 2012 Apex XTX ?

kingstonnh

Just got my sled back from the dealer that did the 500 mile check up and oil change. Because of some past service problems with the dealer that I bought it from new, I took it to a different dealer further from my home.

I've read a post or two with someone having gear oil leaking from the case, chain noises and other problems from the machines not being set up properly. I'm not sure if these are Yamaha factory issues, dealer set-up problems or both but I've never had a new sled with this much stuff to correct on the first check-up.

As just an FYI for anyone else taking the sled in for the first time - do more than just the oil change. Have them check out the set-up thoroughly so they can correct any problems before you ride the next thousand or two miles.

The dealer doing the oil change found the following:

- Front shocks on backwards (i guess the label is supposed to face a certain way) although not that big a deal I guess with enough pre-load.

- Two of the air box nozzles were not all the way on and letting air in.

- The headlight had a wiring harness going around it that wasn't routed properly and chafing, potentially causing a problem down the road.

- The reverse gear linkage was way off, horizontal and vertical causing my occassional grinding issue under load (@588 miles ?).

- There was a very loose bolt in the rear suspension (not sure where) and there was a big lock nut sitting by itself under the oil tank and which doesn't match up to any hardware Yamaha uses on the machine...just a stray nut that ended up somehow bouncing around in the engine compartment....maybe from the shipping crate ?

- Changed a blown heated shield plug fuse (from 3A to 5A) that was probably my fault but is the first one I've had go bad in the first 600 miles on any sled.

I'm glad I took it to a dealer that knows what they're doing and corrected all the issues before I try and get in a 1000 more late season miles in the next month riding around the mountains of northern NH.

Other than that, ignoring my first ride impression of this sled and now getting it dialed in with some mods and suspension adjustments, this sled is the coolest, fastest, baddest hot rod around. I love it....but find a good dealer !!

Shocks are dealer installed, also the dealer has to remove the headlight assy and air box to fill and charge the battery. Reverse should have been set at the factory.

kingstonnh said:
- The headlight had a wiring harness going around it that wasn't routed properly and chafing, potentially causing a problem down the road.
this happend to my dads 2012 se last week. Wouldnt idle right and flashed code 13 cuz the air temp sensor wire rubbed on the headlight bracket. Good thing it started happening 5 miles from the dealrship so we got it fixed up right away.

Installed front shocks upside down are very common on other brands as well. It pretty much comes down to a dealer not following setup procedure provided by OEM's. Glad you found a dealer that cares.

I hear you

I had multiple problems with my sled as well, reverse link not correct, chain tension not right, leak on chaincase, plug not tightened correctly, track tension incorrect. hard to believe when you pay 14,000 plus dollars for a sled, no wonder dealers are going out of business,

Back