• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Did Ski-Doo just match Yamaha in the 4 stroke department?

I am more then impressed and happy that Ski Doo has brought the Mach Z out to challenge the Sidewinder!
That takes balls!
Common, factory launch control, lowered, geared, 180hp[prob 200++hp] how cool is it that Ski Doo has taken the challenge.
The fact that the new Mach has launch control makes it obvious that they are out to let their faithful beat a stock Winder.
This is the kind of reasons I got hooked on sledding in the 60s and 70s...competition between the manufactures, racing your buddies on the lakes, faster and improved tech every year, modifying your sleds to stay ahead of the pack.
I love my Sidewinder and have no interest in buying a Mach Z but not having any competition from my Ski Doo buddies since I got my Sidewinder has been kind of a drag so I say to them now Bring It!!!

There will be a lot of hype and optimism by the Ski Doo faithful in the next 6 weeks but next season at the end of the lake there will only be one winner...

View attachment 159787

There's no doubt that Ski Doo has brought some new and exciting technology to their faithful but I don't think that the new Mach Z has enough to unseat the SW as King of the Lake.

Let the fun begin. I really like this time of the year!

Love the wrap bud! I see that nice Thunder Products Clutching logo on the sled :):Rockon:

Which part of the chassis robs a ton of speed compared to the Doo?
Sag. Doo has a ton more. Better be on a SRX if stock and racing one of these. The launch control is also a big deal in a race. I know it’s won a bunch for me.

"IF" the Winder makes it to the END of the lake.
All 3 of our Winders went down this weekend.
I'm too upset to even talk about it.
Bad luck there I ride with a ton of winders and nobody has broke down yet

I am more then impressed and happy that Ski Doo has brought the Mach Z out to challenge the Sidewinder!
That takes balls!
Common, factory launch control, lowered, geared, 180hp[prob 200++hp] how cool is it that Ski Doo has taken the challenge.
The fact that the new Mach has launch control makes it obvious that they are out to let their faithful beat a stock Winder.
This is the kind of reasons I got hooked on sledding in the 60s and 70s...competition between the manufactures, racing your buddies on the lakes, faster and improved tech every year, modifying your sleds to stay ahead of the pack.
I love my Sidewinder and have no interest in buying a Mach Z but not having any competition from my Ski Doo buddies since I got my Sidewinder has been kind of a drag so I say to them now Bring It!!!
It is 180hp not 200..to many skidoo lovers on this forum!!!

"IF" the Winder makes it to the END of the lake.
All 3 of our Winders went down this weekend.
I'm too upset to even talk about it.
The 900 runs TD 190 tune.
My sled had all the oil come out of case. I may have bottomed or even hit a rock we couldn't find.
My buds' Winder had his top gear go at only 2200 miles installed by quality shop.
My old Winder had an exhaust pipe leak that melted wires, melted his $400 pants & melted some wires. Would have lit the tank up next.

Rode my 600 all weekend & had the most fun i've had in years.
I was like an annoying little CHIHUAHUA nipping at everyone's heels.

I made a visit to the POO dealer yesterday............................................just sayin'

Understandably your confidence is shattered.
Did you find the cause of your oil issue? Rollover valve or breather hose freeze up? Are you running BOP updated oil tank gasket?
Was your buddy top gear OEM part or the upgraded wider gear and metal fork pads?
Was the exhaust on your old winder stock or upgraded due to some tunes?

My questions are not trying to excuse anything. Depending on your answers/experience it might help me and others come to proper decision for a next sled.

Last edited:
Fact-Doo owns the sled market. They own it for a reason. They make the sleds and motors people WANT. High speed runs across a lake? Sure, that's fun but I need a sled that will do well on rivers, lakes, in the trees and pull a load. Yamaha doesn't make it so I run Doo's. I've been back on 2 strokes since going to skidoo and won't change unless something really good comes out of the 4 stroke world. I rode 4 strokes since 2003 and loved them but Yamaha's DNA stagnated and performance suffered. It's going to take more than a Cat chassis and some tuning to get me off the BRP stuff. They're that good. This is coming from a guy with almost 20 years of dedicated yamaha ownership. I still love the old Nytros and Apex sleds but they are certainly dated.
They definitely deserve their number one spot.If you love snowmobiles you have to be happy BRP is in the game wether you ride them or not.They do one heck of a job,they are the driving force in this industry...Incredible company.

They definitely deserve their number one spot.If you love snowmobiles you have to be happy BRP is in the game wether you ride them or not.They do one heck of a job,they are the driving force in this industry...Incredible company.
Go post on the skidoo site!!!nobody is on here to talk about skidoos,this is for talking yamaha's..

This is my Snowmobile Family.
I've made a lot of friends here.
Some know me and they've NEVER met me.
They continued to talk to me even when i wasn't on a Yamaha.
These guys help ALL unlike some sites that are very color blind.

When my 2nd Winder went down last week, i got 6 calls from members.
They didn't care i was on a DOO to finish my year.
Guys here ride with others & gave their honest opinion what to buy next.

As long as MrSled or the CannonMan let us discuss other sleds, i'm going to continue talking about them.

P.S: It is highly unlikely that i will be on any AC chassis next year. So i NEED this kind of Thread

Steve you are obviously no longer going to be riding a Yamaha any longer by your last post. Seeing how you all ready own one Ski Doo I would assume that's the direction you will be heading. I personally don't care that's your deal. You have had some bad luck with yamaha, I do think most of your problems were self induest. Maybe you should start warming up to the guy's over on Doo Talk so they can help you with all your problems next year. Who knows with all the Ski Doo Talk on here lately maybe Mr Sled will add a section in the forum for all you guys to discuss your new Doo's. NOT

Maybe I’m wrong here but I saw some 2022 Thundercat screenshots showing power steering and “200”hp. Now I could be wrong but Arctic Cat and Yamaha both claimed 180Hp through the last few years. Even though we know they dyno for more... Why would Arctic Cat now advertise “200”? Maybe they’ve increased the boost on the Sidewinder and Thundercat for 2022?

Why would Arctic Cat now advertise “200”? Maybe they’ve increased the boost on the Sidewinder and Thundercat for 2022?

Love your optimism. But the why is easy to explain. AC marketing to try and sell more sleds. Nothing more.

Steve you are obviously no longer going to be riding a Yamaha any longer by your last post. Seeing how you all ready own one Ski Doo I would assume that's the direction you will be heading. I personally don't care that's your deal. You have had some bad luck with yamaha, I do think most of your problems were self induest. Maybe you should start warming up to the guy's over on Doo Talk so they can help you with all your problems next year. Who knows with all the Ski Doo Talk on here lately maybe Mr Sled will add a section in the forum for all you guys to discuss your new Doo's. NOT

Not a DOO guy yet. I'm going to test ride the Matrix hopefully this week.
I thought of building an Apex with R-Motion rear, but it's just old technology that wouldn't be an everyday sled.
Some of my problems were self induced i admit.
I also admit i ride hard. ALL DAY! 15 hours if they'll let me. I ride hard on the 15th hour also.
The other issues were Arctic Crap engineering.
My bud brought his downed Winder to a shop this week. They did 11 chain cases in 1 day.

ELEVEN!!!!!!!!! ONE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Please PLEase PLEASE don't tell me there isn't a problem there.
I have NO doubt that other sleds will have issues, but NOT everyday stupid things like a bearing that falls off the shaft.
I really want to stay Yamaha, but not AC. I'm not bitter, I'm just older & wiser now.

P.S: I don't like DOO talk
P.S2: With the miles i put on, i should trade up every other year anyways so a 2 stroke is in the mix

Last edited:

Back