• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do it yourself Turbo Kit

I am posting this for Snow Fever

Well did the vents, Took about 3-4hrs a vent. 1st I sort of outlined the shape and placement on the hood, then got the wife to empty out her laundry soap box so I could use the card board to make the template to fibre glass over it, then cut out the card board and made the vent and taped it together, then cut a hole in the hood.

H-vents.jpg

H-vents2.jpg

H-vents3.jpg

H-vents4.jpg

Then I put the card board vent in the hole, taped it tightly to the hood and used wax paper around the outer edge so the fibre glass wouldn't stick to the hood and poured on a bunch of Dyna-Glass on it. I smoothed it out with the wife's kitchen spatchula and my fingers. I forgot to take a picture of that though. Then just popped the mold out after it dried. Took about 1/2hr to dry.

finishing%20vent2.jpg

finishing%20vent3.jpg

finishing%20vent4.jpg

finishing%20vent5.jpg

finishing%20vent6.jpg

The hard and slow part is the finishing, used my air die grinder and a bunch of hand sanding to smooth it all out.

finishing%20vent.jpg

After I got it all smooth and cut out the back of the vent I made the screen out of an aluminium splint material that my wife found for me which matches the original Yamaha screens (Damn she's a good women) and painted the screens Satin black to match the rest of the vents. Then I sprayed the vent itself with 97' Toyota Satin Black which is close but not exactly the same, it has what looks like green metal flack in it if you get up to it about 4-5" away (VW Magic Black matches real nice but its a base coat clear coat and hey it's just a vent and I didn't feel like dirtying my painting equipment just for these little vents) but it looks REAL GOOD anyways. This sled really looks like a one of "Knock off" now! But its tasteful and most guys won't even clue in. The vent on the one side lines up nicely with the Turbo air cleaner and the other one will just bring in some cool air to under the hood. Next project is put the track back on and go for a chew in the dirt. CAN"T WAIT.............................

smooth%20and%20cut.jpg

smooth%20and%20cut2.jpg

smooth%20and%20cut3.jpg

So Fever...... Any chance you are going to make the Stanley ride? I want to see this beast in action.

hooper said:
Anybody who want´s theire engine to last more than 60 seconds...
no offence jtssrx :lol:

So anyone who does not have an intercooler will have their engine blow up?

I don't understand why you have such a grudge against anyone who does not have your turbo. Fever has done a great job and it's been awesome to see the project come together.

Do you represent MC? I will be in the market for a turbo within the next year and if this is how MC tries to get sales then I will take my business elseware.

It is one thing to promote or beleive in a product, but it is quite another to attack anyone that decides not to buy that product.

Well said Spray

And really how much cooler could it be does that aluminum intercooler actually lower the air charge temp to a point that it is lower than the outside airtemp on a cold winter day.

I could see an intercooler working better in a grass or ashphalt drag situation sure but i see no benifit from an intercooler in a winter aplication. If there is the power increse im sure its insignifigant in comparason to loosing five pounds of static weight

I honestly know nothing about turbocharging so if my therory is wrong please enlighten me.

Spray! Don´t get me wrong! Fever has done a great job.But you all for sure seams to got blinded by the polished aluminium and the great fit & finish kit.But how will it work?Are you willing to be a testpilot with your sled? A turbo is not something you ripp out of a car and put in a sled and think that´s gonna work pretty ok, without some SERIOUS dynotesting AND fieldtesting.

I do NOT represent MC-X but I belive that it would be very wrong to make anybody belive that it´s a piece of cake to make a turbokit for a high reving 4stroke engine without any experience.

:evil: "Mr Turbo" is a common joke around here :evil:

I´m not attacking anyone who want´s to buy fevers kit,go ahead!!!
If you think it will work,BUY IT!

Mikey:It´s a law of nature ,that´s a gas wich is compressed gets hotter.An intercooler gives a lower air temp wich gives a possibility to increase pressure without risking any knocking. An intercooler has nothing to do with if it´s winter or summer,it´s cooling down the charged intakeair.
For ex.:You have a IC with a 75% efficency,that means that you could cool down 75% of the temp that the turbocompression process causes.
If you load 1 bar=15psi,the temp increase would only be 0,25 x 90 deg C
=22,5 deg C.
The airdensity difference with or without anIC is 21,5% and that value shows the hp diff.
I have the formula if anybody want´s it but see you tomorrow ,it´s 2 am here,goodnight!

I hope I never mislead anyone, I'm NOT selling ANYTHING. All I was trying to do was share info to anyone that might be interested. I don't have a dyno but do more field testing then anyone I know. YEAR ROUND most years. As far as Turbo experience goes this is my 4th project I've worked on and I do try to read any and all info I can get my hands on as well as talking to anyone that has ideas about Turbos on most anything that runs on gas since 1992. I could be very well way out in left field on this one but all my research and past experience tells me I'm not. Whether its great, good or a bust I will post my results. I wouldn't steer even someone on a diffrent brand wrong (well maybe 5-10 years ago) I don't race competively anymore just for fun and if this does work DAMN am I going to be having fun. Sorry if I mislead anyone but if this info helps anyone that was my goal. On the subject of Intercoolers you can run ANY BOOST LEVEL without an Intercooler if #1 your octane is right #2 compression is right #3 timming is right. Meet these criteria and the sky is the limit. As a side note make an Intercooler wrong and you can LOOSE PERFORMANCE! I'm not smart enough to make one right (it would be more of a guess then anything) so no cooler for me. Lots of Bikes are running Turbos with no coolers and are producing great amounts of H.P. in the summer with no problems so I say it's a NON ISSUE in the winter at 6lbs Boost which is what I will be running. Sorry again for the confusion. P.S. If money was no object and I didn't have the means to do my own kit I would buy the MC Express kit, I've seen it in real life and its SWEET! My dealer asked me if I was going to make kits and I said No so he has ordered 3 MC Express kits and one is for his personal sled so I will get a chance to run against one and Win, Loose or Draw I'll let you guys know the results. Spray25 I don't even know where that Stanley place even is but if you can make it up here I'll let you take it for a chew.

Fever I have been following this from the begining and you have done an excellent job first by just trying to build from scratch with your own coin then allowing us to see the progress. I would not even know where to begin and to take a $12,000 dollar sled and start this project. It only shows your confidence. I know you will be honest and tell us all exactly how it comes down in the end and I hope you get what performance you are looking for. Please keep us informed. Turbo seems to be the next step for 4 strokes and to see someone one try this on thier own is great.

Fever,what kind of fuel are you going to use? With 6lbs of boost and 200 hp it certanly must use atleast 110 oct to be safe from detonation.

Bender has 180 hp without an ic,MCX has 200 with an ic and twingaskets.

A fieldtest with both yours and MCX is a great idea.Why not include both
Benderkits stage 1 and 2 and invite some snowmob.magazines to do some comparissions?

What kind of turbobikes are you meaning?Low reving Harleys or high reving japs?

MCX has developed turbos for several years for highreving bikes like Yamaha R1,kawasaki and suzuki.They tested many different turbochargers ,singleentrys and doubleentrys and ended up with a Schwitzer S1BG for the RX-1.

Keep up the good work but beware of the deto.risk and keep a close look at the fuelcurve when dynoing. :idea: :wink:

Snowfever, Continue posting as you have been. You my friend have some major talent. This is a project you dont just go in blindly on, I know your turbo will work. You have taken the time to assure it will.

Hooper, This is Snowfevers post, has been for some time. Where in here did he ask you for a description of how an Intercooler works. By posting this, you make it sound like something he hasnt thought of. I appreciate the information your trying to share, but start a new post. In Fact, i think this very topic would make an excellent post...BBY

Back