• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do it yourself Turbo Kit

Jtssrx, I'm missing your calls all the time. I'm in western Canada so I think thats Pacific time? Call between 6pm - 11pm my time and I should be in. I've been working 10-12hr shifts so sometimes I don't get home till 5-5:30pm Hope to catch up with you soon. The wife says were 3hrs behind you guys so if you can call me around 9pm or 10pm your time if you can? Oh yea we are on day light savings time I don't know if you guys do that there so that might make a diffrence too? If you can't call that late call me on the weekend.

I am posting this for Snow Fever

Well got back on the program again did a little more, this is a shot of the RMK heat exchanger I put in the back, a shot of the cover plate for the original exhaust holes in the bulk head (angle it a bit to get some hot air out but the picture doesn't show it) made it like a vent and I raised my speedo 3/4" so I can see the hole thing now when I'm sitting and installed the boost gauge.

gauge.jpg

heat%20exchanger.jpg

heat%20exchanger%202.jpg

This is the straight pipes I built sounds good but is louder then stock but quitter then the can I made last year. I'm going to finish up the exhaust then start on the air cleaner for the Turbo. Oh yea I bought a new cartridge for the Turbo because the seals on my Turbo were leaking. Cost 550 dollars Canadian took 20mins to re-re but now my Turbo is new. I was hoping to do this project for 1000 - 1200 dollars but it looks like it going to come in around 1500 now with the rebuild. Oh well at least I know its new now.

straight%20pipes.jpg

straight%20pipes%202.jpg

Thanks again RX-Warrior for posting my pictures, The big hole in the tunnel where the single pipe comes out above the dove tail has to be filled in as well now. Before with the 2 pipes they just fit through that hole. I wish it would rain more here so I would spend more time working on my sled instead of camping and fishing or going riding. I'll send RX-Warrior a picture of what the wife and I were doing last week instead of working on my sled. Man was it hot you had to stop in the shade and all I could think of was SNOW!

This is my wife and I on vacation. Gotta ride the bikes to kill time when its poor sled'n.

vacation.bmp

Finished up my exhaust, all fits in and looks stock. What pain is the a$$ making all those little brackets that have to be there to tie everything together. After I finished that I thought I might as well try see if I can weld a tank together without it leaking so I made one for testing my sled on the grass. Its about 2 gallons and it doesn't leak!!!! I set it up so it supports the front of the seat and just riveted it to the top of the tunnel. It took me about 3hrs to build but went real well so now I know I can do the big one. Next project is the air cleaner for the Turbo. Hey for all you long track guys, awhile ago I put a post about Polaris coming with a 166" track, Well here's the part number and guess what else? It has 2.35" paddles NASTY. Heres the part number 541 2538 no idea if it is an open window design or if it needs a special drivers but one of my Buddies has it on order so I let you know when it get here.

Finished%20%20exhaust.jpg

tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

Snow Fever - I'd like to ask you a few questions about the work you've been doing. I just came into an 88 Daytona that I'm going to be pulling the turbo out of in the next couple of days. Could you email me at jim@qunara.com if you don't mind?

Finished my air box, the pictures don't do it justice it looks like chrome. These ones are after I finished polishing it
air%20box.jpg

air%20box%202.jpg

air%20box%203.jpg

This is what it looks like installed. I wish you could see it and the air box in real life they look like chrome and because of the shape they look real trick. Now I'm going to build the 2 Turbo vents for each side of the hood. I matched the paint on my sled to VW Magic Black. I'll make the vents from cardboard then fibreglass over that then finish them and paint them and they'll look like thats the way it came. I'll send RX Warrior those pictures when I'm done.

air%20box%2044.jpg

air%20box%2055.jpg

air%20box%2066.jpg

Awesome work dude, I only wish I had that much attention to detail. Well, we know it looks cool, let's see and hear how it goes. Keep up the good work.

As usual it looks awesome Fever! I guess I'll give you another chance.... Do you want to build your best friend in Idaho one? :D

I do have to say that looks really bad #*$&@. Great job!! I am right behind Spray on the order list.

Hey thanks alot guys, you woudn't believe how many best friends I have here that would like this. For sure next week it's on the grass, cash or crash. The bright side is they always say if it don't go chrome it, so if it don't go at least I can sit in the garage and polish it. As you might have noticed there is no track on it yet I'm saving that for the very last because I know soon as I put the track on I'll be ripping up the front lawn and I'll never finish all the things I want to do.

Hey snow,great job,i couldent tell from the pics what you have done w/the crankcase breather hose that so many of us think is causing some oil usage,have you hooked it into the air box yet,and or have you installed some kind of a pvc valve on the end to keep oil from pushing thru to the air box and being run thru the carbs,just wondering if you have had any thoughts on it,keep up the great job. pete 8)

I vented the two hoses that hook to the air box together and then went to Canadian tire and bought a little breather filter that is for a VW and it fits in there perfect. So now its just vented to atmospheric pressure. I think it'll work just fine. If I have any problems I'll post and let you guys know. Sent some pictures to RX Warrior of my new Turbo vents. Came out real good and look TOO COOL!

Back