• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does anyone know what acid you use to wash aluminum off jugs

ApexerER

Expert
A buddy of mine blew up his skidoo this weekend and we tore it down. Both jugs have aluminum melted on them but no other damage. I thought there was an acid you could wash the cylinders with that will take the aluminum off but not damage the cylinder. Anybody know what it is or where to get it or am I not remembering right.

Thank you for your help

I use muratic acid. Im not sure im spelling it correctly. Get some of this and let it sit for a bit and just scrape the aluminum away.

I don't remember where I got it though. Sorry.

Muratic commonly used for cleaning concrete, should be available at most any hardware. 1 qt. will last you for years. Gallons are a waste.....

Yup, Muratic acid. I buy mine at pool / spa supply stores. Wipe a little on the aluminum with a q-tip, etc and watch it fizzle. When it stops fizzling, add more.
Be careful not to get it in the ports, it is not preferential and will eat ANY aluminum...
Make sure you berry hone the cylinder afterwards.

Hmmm. Gotta do the same to a another Doo tonight. On a Skandic. Blows every other year. Gotta love them two strokes.
Although they do a lot of work grooming....

Using cast or forged pistons? Maybe need a little more clearance when working it harder to accomodate the piston growth...

Back