• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does Yamaha make their own engines?

I must be getting old and my memory goint to poop.
I researched the Yamaha/Ford Taurus SHO subject.
The early cars with the V-6 were Yamaha powered.
The later cars with a V-8 were a joint deal between Ford and Yamaha.
Its been a long time sine I did the dealer tech gig...lol

Volvo XC90 V8 is definitely a Yamaha engine and I believe it is a variant or evolution of the SHO V8. Too bad we bought our XC90 a few months before they announced the V8. Volvo is owned by Ford, I believe.

Correct. I also worked at a Volvo dealer for 15 years. The most unique one I saw was a normal looking 740GLE that was all 5.0 injected Mustang underneath. Guy did a nice conversion. Kinda cool!

LazyBastard said:
LoneViper said:
Don't forget about the outboard motor business, Yamaha built power heads for Mercery Marine on some 60 to 90 Hp engines.
Those were on the 4-strokes, and I heard that they've broken apart now, so expect mercury engine quality to back down to where it has been most of the time since the 60's.

I hear that!

Im going to tell my buddies who are all hyped up about merc and polaris and doo who is building their merc heads, haha.

Also, awsome info here guys, really learning alot!

Toyota does own some Yamaha stock and Yamaha owns some Toyota stock this is fairly common for large companies that do technology sharing in Japan. Yamaha builds quite a few automobile engines for Toyota and assists in intak, heads, and top end design for numerous Ford and Toyota engines. One of my buddies was a rep for Yamaha and a few years ago he gave me a brochure called Initation to Yamaha it has a ton of good info in it. Here is a list of products Yamaha makes or makes engines for Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles, Waverunners, Sport Boats, Generators, Electric Bikes, Outboards, Marine Diesel engines, electric marine engines, stern drives, generators, electric wheel chairs, go carts, snow blowers, golf cars, wind turbine generators, small helicoptors and even industrial robots. In addition to this the number of different high quality and high performance MCY engines they make is incredible. Truly an world class engineering company!

More Yamaha info

More interesting info from the book: Yamaha has 60 factories in 45 countries world wide. Yamaha Midwest Region headquarters is in Wisconsin and is the base for Snowmobile Product Planning and Marketing and they have 2 additional snowmobile testing facilites one in northern Wisconsin and one in the mountains in Japan called Yamaha Shibetsu Snowmobile Test Center. Yamaha has a factory in Georgia Yamaha Motor Manufacturing Corp of America which makes, ATVs, Waverunners, Side X Side Vehicles (Rhinos I think), and Golf Cars these products are distributed in North America and all over the world. It also looks like Yamaha owns 4 boat manufacturing companies in the US as well.

Yamaha through its 4 corporate facilities in the US, plus the Factory in Georgia, plus the 4 boat companies, and their large expansive network employs thousands of people in North America. :yam:

FYI, Yamaha Rhino (side-by-side) UTV brochure lists Newnan, Georgia
as the plant location. I checked it as just Southwest of Atlanta. RR

Yamaha definately makes some of the best engines in the world!!!

"If Harley ever built an airplane, would you fly in it?"

Toyotas GT2000 uses Yamaha engine. Just like did the Corolla GT´s later ( 80´s - 90´s).

http://www.celica-fan.de/aktuell.htm

tan58j.jpg

tan6rp.jpg

tan6up.jpg

Ike

I believe a company called Nippon International Motors ( Nippon Motor Corp ) owns all 4 of the Japanese manufacturers,
(Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki)
Similar to General Motors owning Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile
(or what other new companies they absorbed)

Back