• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does Yamaha make their own engines?

The 89-95 Sho's were Yamaha made engines.The 97's got the joint v8.I was a service manager for a Ford dealer that specialized in SHO'S.We modified a Sho with a stroker motor and clutch kit and a nice NOS bottle.We got 450hp out of that car.The owner used to race mUSCLE CARS and Porsches and win.

Taurus SHO ....I still miss mine

Mach1Mike said:
The 89-95 Sho's were Yamaha made engines.The 97's got the joint v8.I was a service manager for a Ford dealer that specialized in SHO'S.We modified a Sho with a stroker motor and clutch kit and a nice NOS bottle.We got 450hp out of that car.The owner used to race mUSCLE CARS and Porsches and win.
>>>
I owned an SHO for 3 years was an incredible car ! I can't believe they still don't make a version with this engine. Mine was basically stock with a few mods, intake & exhaust, but I beat alot of people with that car, was a sleeper for sure ! I had the manual version and that was a much quicker set up then the automatics.

sandy8657 said:
I believe a company called Nippon International Motors ( Nippon Motor Corp ) owns all 4 of the Japanese manufacturers,
(Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki)
Similar to General Motors owning Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile
(or what other new companies they absorbed)

I don't think so.

Merc also made powerheads for Yamaha too (ie. 25hp 4 stroke outboard). My dad had one and it was junk so he traded for a two stroke 30 Yam.

In all my years of outboards before I went to Yamaha in 1990, I was a Merc guy. I much preferred Merc over OMC. Never had a problem with Mercs where OMC's were always headache for me (when I use them at work).

I had a Yamaha race motor in one of my SHO's (version of the OX66.. I think that is what it was.. keep getting different info off the net. 2.0l V6 is what I had.. stock was a 3.0l). Man, that was a bad mofo.
Long story how I got the engine, but Yamaha gave it to me.

MattZx6 said:
Audi has five valve heads...not that it matters

They also have a five cylinder design in many of their engines.

QCRider said:
The SHO was definitely a Yamaha Engine.

The SHO came with a v-6 Yamaha engine, with a 5-speed manual transmisson. It was a Yamaha engine for a few years and then ford put in their own engine, which doesn't even compare. If you find an old one with a yami I bet it would be fun to see How it held up over the years.

RX1MPete said:
Merc also made powerheads for Yamaha too (ie. 25hp 4 stroke outboard). My dad had one and it was junk so he traded for a two stroke 30 Yam.

In all my years of outboards before I went to Yamaha in 1990, I was a Merc guy. I much preferred Merc over OMC. Never had a problem with Mercs where OMC's were always headache for me (when I use them at work).
That was the other way around. Yam made the engines for Merc. Merc did something dumb with the engines they got from Yam and a whole bunch of them blew.

LazyBastard said:
RX1MPete said:

That was the other way around. Yam made the engines for Merc. Merc did something dumb with the engines they got from Yam and a whole bunch of them blew.
LB is correct, especially all of the 4stroke Merc mills up till 2005 are all Yamaha heads. Merc now has there own design, which I hear is vertually identical to Yamaha's.

Back