• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Don't Be Cheap

Steiner, I’m really glad that You are ok. I don’t know what I would have done this year without all of your funny memes. As someone who’s had many close calls in life sometimes theirs no rhyme or reason. We just chalk it up to experience and move on. All the Monday morning quarterbacking in the world can’t change what happened. You did what you did and lived to tell the tale. That’s a win in my book.

Steiner, good to hear you are ok. I have been wearing a tekvest for a good 12 years now and feel naked without it. None of my riding posse, including my wife wears them. I’m hoping after she see’s this she will change her mind. They are cumbersome at first, but once you get used to it you won’t wanna be without it. Plus they add a layer of warmth. Hopefully you’ll be back out next season

Something that just came up on YouTube. Motorcycle rider airbags. Wonder if something like this could also be used on sleds? One advantage it has is that it stabilizes the head.

Something that just came up on YouTube. Motorcycle rider airbags. Wonder if something like this could also be used on sleds? One advantage it has is that it stabilizes the head.

Now that is interesting. Although I wonder how it would hold up to studs... We already have "some" padding with snow most of the time, I don't think this would have helped steiner out at all based on the blow his tek vest took from studs.

Also, I wonder if there is a way for those electronic airbag vests to deploy in the event you go through the ice... Almost think that that + a jacket with integrated tek vest (if thats a thing) would be the ultimate in protection.

Last edited:
True that studs would probably just go through it like a balloon however I don't use studs myself so... I think the idea of the air bag vest is to protect the body from impact. I could see this as something integrated into jackets since we have to wear one, unlike on motorcycles. Heck, you could even have bags in the pant legs too.

Also didn't think of the airbag as being useful for going through ice. I wouldn't go with the electronic version but the CO2 tank with tether would work nicely here. Go through ice, sled sinks and tether is pulled. And having bags in the legs would really help you in getting you out of the water.

They wouldn't be the be all end all but would surely reduce the number and severity of injuries. Just like in cars, airbags can't prevent everything.

Glad you came out as good as you could have.

As a fireman for 17 years, I've seen many car, motorcycle, snowmobile car accidents. It sure makes you think and operate vehicles differently. I wish everyone could get this eye opener. We also discuss it, though not graphically, in our youth safety training every year.

I wear a Tekvest which took 1 ride to get used to. I completely forget I have it on but certainly notice if I put my jacket on without it. My wife does not wear one and even though she only rides a few times a year, I'd like to get her one. As mentioned, it does add warmth when it's cold and doesn't make you too hot when it's warmer.

True that studs would probably just go through it like a balloon however I don't use studs myself so... I think the idea of the air bag vest is to protect the body from impact. I could see this as something integrated into jackets since we have to wear one, unlike on motorcycles. Heck, you could even have bags in the pant legs too.

Also didn't think of the airbag as being useful for going through ice. I wouldn't go with the electronic version but the CO2 tank with tether would work nicely here. Go through ice, sled sinks and tether is pulled. And having bags in the legs would really help you in getting you out of the water.

They wouldn't be the be all end all but would surely reduce the number and severity of injuries. Just like in cars, airbags can't prevent everything.

I specifically would not want the tethered one because of going through the ice. It takes a 60Ib pull to trigger the tethered one, that is way more than enough to pull you under with the sled. While you probably can pull yourself away far enough to rip the tether out, I wouldn't want to count on not panicking to save my life.

I specifically would not want the tethered one because of going through the ice. It takes a 60Ib pull to trigger the tethered one, that is way more than enough to pull you under with the sled. While you probably can pull yourself away far enough to rip the tether out, I wouldn't want to count on not panicking to save my life.

60 lbs? That seems like alot. I don't think it takes 60 lbs to pull my tether.

I saw a different types just the other day. One made for downhill skiers and another for motorbikes. Studs or no studs I think the air cushion would do its job as intended. Absorb the initial impact which is key in any crash. Look at an air bag in a car. They have massive holes in them to deflate quickly. As far a going in the water I will rely on my F.A.S.T FXR suit to keep me up. Not a certified system but it does do what it needs to do.
I know the company that made this video and the person that jumped into the water. Twice!

FXR Racing F.A.S.T. Snowmobile Gear - YouTube

glad you are ok.

sounds like we lead the group the same way. was out with 3 green horns this weekend and my gf. when taking anyone out with us i always tell them. i ride my pace. you ride your pace and i will wait for you at the stop sign/intersections. i would rather wait then have to go back and fish them out of the trees. when i have rookies i will slow or stop on a good visibility area and make sure they are still coming. gf rides drag and i always make sure i get a head nod or thumbs up before we go on. also tell the new guys that i have rocks smart lights so they do not need to signal like the oncoming riders do, stay safe and have both hands on the bars.

steiner, glad to hear you are ok. What part of the province did this happen?

Tek Rider replaced my TekVest in exchange for me sending in my damaged one.
These guys an girls are great over at Tek Rider. They offered to customize my vest on their dime.
I added pockets on the front, accident pics on the inside and my kids handprints on the back

20210707_192709.jpg
IMG_0672.jpg
20210707_192605.jpg
20210707_192612.jpg
20210707_192601.jpg
View attachment 162034

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Back