• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Don't Be Cheap

I bring up the tether because my ATV makes provisions to connect the tether to the rider, need to make sure my next 2021 sled jacket has provisions.

I'm sure many here ride motorcycles in the summer.... we have a saying.... All The Gear All The Time... ATGATT saves the body when things go wrong

Wow glad your ok. Don’t take this wrong. I wish everyone could race a few times. There is some etiquette involved but never counted on. Team Me,myself and I. It’s good. You learn to race your own race. If everyone does so it is safer. This translates to trail riding directly. You worried about others behind you and more than likely caused this. #*$&@ happens. Move on and ride your own ride. Your window should be as far ahead as you can possibly see. Worry about nothing else. So glad your ok!

All the gear all the time. Great motto.
I cant stress enough to everyone. Make sure your gear is good gear. In my case the helmet took the pounding of the undercarriage of the sled during it's roll. The impact pushed the helmet into the trail soo far that the eye opening was not visible. It also took the sharp impact of the stab link. All this without deforming or transferring the direct impact to my skull. Yes I was knocked out but as the scans proved there was no trauma to the brain. The back of my head was where the stab link penetrated was untouched. There is no bruising or pain. Not sure how they design helmets but I thank the engineer who designed this one.

I see it's an FXR.

IMO, they make thee best snowmobile safety & riding gear. They were/ are racers, and know the importance of quality equipment.

Wow glad your ok. Don’t take this wrong. I wish everyone could race a few times. There is some etiquette involved but never counted on. Team Me,myself and I. It’s good. You learn to race your own race. If everyone does so it is safer. This translates to trail riding directly. You worried about others behind you and more than likely caused this. #*$&@ happens. Move on and ride your own ride. Your window should be as far ahead as you can possibly see. Worry about nothing else. So glad your ok!
I agree. Not looking back to worry about the guy behind could have changed everything. Any little thing could have change everything that day. Leaving the gas station a minute later or earlier would have changed that day. Stopping a few seconds longer at a trail intersection, etc..
This day I was trying to watch out for the less experienced riders in the group. Covid has produced a great many riders in our area and not that they can't ride some just don't understand slight complexities of trail riding, especially during the weekend.
For now my season is over. I will piece together what I need to on the sled and will be ready to hit the trails next season and join the 20th Ann. TY Ride

Not to be insensitive, but do you have a good set of mirrors? I find mirrors on my sled, a good set, are actually a safety item. I can see the riders behind me and check traffic on odd angle road crossings. When I ride a sled without them I find myself always looking backwards to check on others......

Not to be insensitive, but do you have a good set of mirrors? I find mirrors on my sled, a good set, are actually a safety item. I can see the riders behind me and check traffic on odd angle road crossings. When I ride a sled without them I find myself always looking backwards to check on others......
I never look behind unless I am stopped. Ever. Makes me nervous as heck when I see someone looking in their mirror all the time. Accident waiting to happen. When my kids were really young they were in front of me and after I trusted them to ride their own ride safely they are behind. No reason for it. If someone rear ends me they are getting a beating. No excuse for that ever. In a group I am at every trail intersection waiting for entire group guaranteed. Stop signs as soon as I see lights from next sled I go. This allows spacing and safety since visibility is often a issue. Ride your own ride and own pace. Trust your leader to wait at Intersections.

I never look behind unless I am stopped. Ever. Makes me nervous as heck when I see someone looking in their mirror all the time. Accident waiting to happen. When my kids were really young they were in front of me and after I trusted them to ride their own ride safely they are behind. No reason for it. If someone rear ends me they are getting a beating. No excuse for that ever. In a group I am at every trail intersection waiting for entire group guaranteed. Stop signs as soon as I see lights from next sled I go. This allows spacing and safety since visibility is often a issue. Ride your own ride and own pace. Trust your leader to wait at Intersections.
Great advise! And yes he does this.. I got to ride with Cannondale this year. I struggled with the cold temps some as I have a injury on my hand that causes serious issues in extreme cold. But he was always waiting and I never tried to change my riding speed or style because I knew I did not NEED to. But the dust was bad and the spacing he mentions here is VERY important.. Guys really need to adjust on extreme cold days when the dust just hangs

Can’t get those images out of my head. Put our helmets away today and all I thought about is I sure hope they do the job if something is to ever happen. Glad your ok.

Back