• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

dreaded airbox rivets reason for motor failure

onlyblue4stroke

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
07 PZFX 03 RX-1
The mech took evertthing apart today..... and relized tht a rivet was missing out of the airbox.... it was sucked through the intake and went into #2 cylinder causeing mass destruction of the head, piston, and crank....... THIS was suppose to be addressed on its pre season tune up....... alll 07 have these rivets AND the DEALER must change them as a recall..... However i was not notified of this and my tune was done in october...... SO if anyone has not yet taken care of these dreaded rivets it WILL cost u a motor its just a matter of time....
THANKS

Thats a real shame.Can you get a pic of the rivet setup.Just want to be sure the washers werent on there.

ya no problem iam gonna post a bunch of pics for this so tht if it happen to anyone else they can use it at there dealer..... still not sure if there gonna rebuild or put brand new in it..... there should be a new one put in it.... because the metal shavings went all through the motor....

Sorry guys no can do on the pics..... its a shame tht a .05 cent rivet cost yamaha a total of 5200$$$..... AND WORSE YET heads are backorderd so dont know when itll be up and running but thts allright cause i just orderd a 2009 600 e-tec ski doo hopefully i can get my hands on tht soon......... sorry guys.

no,no,but anyone with a phazer should check that immidiatly,there was a post on this a year ago or so,about these rivets,my friends phazer suffered the same symptoms,right away,i siliconed those suckers in place and i check them from time to time

Can someone post a pic of what updated rivits look like. I want to make sure mine has been done. I bought 07 gt used and according to my dealer my VIN # shows all updates have been done.

I bought my 07 When the 08's were coming out and my sled was spose to have the steering recall done..does this mean its done?? How can I tell..are you guys talking about the clips that hold down the filter?

Tayz588 said:
I bought my 07 When the 08's were coming out and my sled was spose to have the steering recall done..does this mean its done?? How can I tell..are you guys talking about the clips that hold down the filter?
yep,2 little clips that you swivel out of the way to remove the screen- filter

I have the old type, I might just rip em out for now. Not wasting time going to the dealer for that.

mine were not updated do to a miscomunication with the dealer and yamaha canada..... SO PLEASE UPDATE THIS PART DO NOT RIDE UNLESS THERE IS A PERMENANT FIX.....its not woorth it a new motor is worth 5800 $ canadian

The fix is they add washers to the backside of the rivet which hold clips on.Would be hard to take a pic since airbox comes apart to do this.

Back