• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive gear light turning on/off

soldi

Expert
I had the phazer out saturday for a day in the POW spent basically all day driving and she did great. Then on sunday I took her out for a 20 minute drive and about half way I notised as I let go of the throttel the green drivegear light would turn of... Hit the thottle and it came back on and then it did som flickering for a few seconds.. After that it was back to normal (as far as I could tell as I was buissy driving). I didnt notice or hear anything problematic whiles driving but I am wondering if it's somthing I should be concerned for? Got a trip planned so need everything to be in good shape and possibly fixed before I head out...

so new belt would be a good thing to change i guess...

but what belt.. I have a 07 mountain light and I find two different belts

8GS-17641-00-00 - witch is the bealt my dealer says will fit

8GK-17641-10-00 - which is also listed for the 07 mountain light from what i can tell...

whats the difference between belts?

I also have that green light flickering at times with no apparent drive problems. What does it indicate? Some loose connection? Moisture in something?

I have an 07 Phazer GT and my drive light flickers with an apparent gear bind noise that I can feel every 4-6 seconds.

In my case I experienced the same symptom, flickering 'D' drive light on stock belt with around 3500 miles. Swapped belt to new updated Yamaha belt, has not reappeared in hundreds of miles since. Top speed and overall 'snap' increased markedly.

I had this same problem last year on my 2008 gt. It ended up being the gear box gears were shreaded. After taking it all apart I found there was no oil in the gear box. There should be a few threads on here about the gear box, I believe mooseman has also had this problem.

Yep, I still have that problem of the D light flashing but my gear box is fine AFAIK. In fact, I tested my reverse with the belt off as per the reverse update bulleting and it's fine except the D light did flash a few times but I was unable to make it flash some more playing with the secondary clutch. I did notice that if there is a fair amount of forward pressure on the secondary, it would not shift. With the belt on, it also shifted flawlessly (of course). It's possible that as the belt gets hot, it grabs more and pulls more on the secondary.

For the flashing light, it could just be a switch grounding issue. The internal switch works by the shift fork contacting the switch, which is spring loaded, completing the circuit. It's possible that the switch internally is losing contact between the switch body and contact momentarily. Maybe a new switch might fix it.

Back