• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drowned RX1....water in fuel?ECU??

Hello all,Recently(5 days ago)I recovered my 2003 RX1 from being totally submerged in a creek for 20 hrs.Since that time,my sled has been sitting next to a wood stove in a garage.I have managed to get it running,given it 4 oil and filter changes,drained the chain case 4 times,drained the fuel tank& carbs,greased all the zeks,and hit all the electrical connections with contact cleaner.
Now for the problem(Besides a water logged seat)...I took it for a quick ride around the block last night and all seemed to be fine.Today I tried it again and anytime I gave the throttle constant fuel the sled would fall on its face and backfire out the exhaust.It got bad enough to where I had to get off the sled and walk next to it, blipping the gas in order to get it back in the garage.Once in the garage I drained the carbs again and gave it another whirl.This seemed to make it better.However if you open the throttle all the way up the sled will stutter and stumble for about 2-3 seconds and then come right to life.
My local dealer suggested that this may be the ECU,but I'm wondering if I still have water in my fuel or perhaps a plugged up fuel filter.Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Taking a bath.JPG
    Taking a bath.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Taking a bath 2.JPG
    Taking a bath 2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Alaskan Snow Machine Wash!.JPG
    Alaskan Snow Machine Wash!.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 165

Make sure you run some stabilizer or gas line antifreeze through it as well. You may have some water in the carbs/lines that hasn't completely passed. Draining the carbs may not let the water out of a pilot jet and those jets are so small they may not pass it. You may want to pull the carbs off and go through them if the TORS suggestion doesn't work.

Definitely run gas line antifreeze. Unless you have a high proportion of ethyl alcohol in your gas (typically 5-10%), then add gas line antifreeze -- it will take all the water and ice out of the fuel system.

Regarding the stumbling problem... I'm 99% positive that that would be the TORS. You mentioned that it worked fine and then started happening. That would actually be very consistent with what should happen if there is water in the handlebar-side switch. When the water is wet, it'll work fine. Take it for a ride, the water freezes into ice, switch no longer works.

LazyBastard said:
Definitely run gas line antifreeze. Unless you have a high proportion of ethyl alcohol in your gas (typically 5-10%), then add gas line antifreeze -- it will take all the water and ice out of the fuel system.

Regarding the stumbling problem... I'm 99% positive that that would be the TORS. You mentioned that it worked fine and then started happening. That would actually be very consistent with what should happen if there is water in the handlebar-side switch. When the water is wet, it'll work fine. Take it for a ride, the water freezes into ice, switch no longer works.

I don't know if I ever would have thought of that, but it makes total sense. Very good theory there, once again.

Ditto on the gas line anti-freeze, etc.

This happened to a friend of mine.

Get it totally warm and spray every electrical connection you can get to with 100% silicone spray.
(NOT wd-40 unless an emergency, the oil in it will attract dirt.)
Pure Silicone is non-conductive, you can even use it on the spark plugs/wires etc.

This will force the water away from the connections/parts, but the sled MUST be warm!

Spray every cable and moving pivot also (except clutches and brakes), they have moisture in them and it will freeze when you least expect it.
Key switch, everything you can think of.
You can soak the TORS switches in it or with it.

This should take care of your issues, just be meticulous with spraying EVERYTHING electrical and everything that moves.

You can take the cover off the seat and set the foam over a forced air furnace vent for a few days, that will dry out the foam very well.

Hope this helps! ;)!

PS The pic is almost sickening! Have been there, it's COOOOOLD! :brrr:

Could Bypass TORS for testing.

That (man/sled overboard stuff) happened to me once. eh? Or should I say it happened to the wife. She had to drive into the hole I made in the ice. Fortunately it was only waste deep. I still avoid ice like the plague. Well, .. I guess it did happen to me. I had to wade in and fish her and the sled out and listen to her for the next few hours.

The wires need to be *connected* in order to bypass. You'll find the two wires by the carbs. Disconnect both from the carbs and connect the two on the harness together.

*NOTE* It is very important that once you have confirmed that it is the TORS that is causing the problem, that you REPAIR the problem! TORS is an essential SAFETY device. A little bit for you, but mostly for everybody who would get killed by your sled running 100mph out of control without a driver. If you can't fix the TORS, you should at least replace with a tether (and be sure to always use it).

Attachments

• t_p1010015___74___prod_161.jpg
    t_p1010015___74___prod_161.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 84
  • t_p1010040___72___prod_115.jpg
    t_p1010040___72___prod_115.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 110
Yes it did Suck...alot of WATER!

Can anyone tell me where the tac gets it's readings from?As of now I've cleaned the plug on the back of the instrument panel and everything works except the tac....figure there may be another connection I'm missing.

CDI Unit. There is a connector down there under the airbox close to the CDI that is mounted in front and below the battery. Also, wires have been known to rub and short out down in the same area.

I think it may be the Yellow/Black wire

Re: Tach

Does this seem like it could possibly be my problem?All the rest of the gauges work and the tac cycles up and back down when you first start it but after that....Nothing

Back