• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dynotch shows 2011 APEX Mysteriously lost 10HP vs prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different dyno's different day's............. different #'s. Listen to the Mike's X 2. When they are broken in few stock sleds will run with them over 1200 feet. If you can get the hole shot.... and that will depend on your set-up they will never catch you! maybe the Z1T but i believe at the end of the winter the Apex will have left huge impression on everbody.
Yamaha has tendency to engineer their rear skid with far more travel in THE FRONT OF THE REAR SKID. As Turk atola of rock and roll'a suggested....... you need to pull a couple holes out of the front of rear straps. This will counter act inside ski lift...... and really with power steering who cares about ski pressure. Also noted somewhere on this form the transfer rods are set at full transfer.
Now i know what you are thinking... i want this bitch to leave hard and i can't do that with planted skis. After you pull the straps you have to work the shocks and the transfer rod, one step at a time..... and ride it so you know what have.
My set-up goal is that when i shift weight to the front of the sled i have positive steering with no ski lift in the twisty's. If i move to back of the seat with hammer down i have 4" of air under my skis.
I can't speak the heaters cause i don't have 2011................ yet.
The skis i'm are an issue............ maybe doolies.
Pull'in the straps will help the hyfax, but you got to get it right first time out............ lots of heat then dump it in the snow( do it a couple times). They will were fast in some spots and then stay there for long time.
Just like Fords rust and Chev's have #*$&@ brakes..... Yamaha's wear hifax.......... but YOU can make if much better without spending more money.
just my 3 cents

I have to say that 160 hp + sounded a bit on the high side considering the limited amount of modifications to the 2006-2010 engine. And I assume that this means that the Apex is now classified as the 150 hp sled (and the FX Nytro as the 130 hp sled) that it has always been on this side of the pond...?
Interesting, indeed...

Yamaha did add weight to the prime clutch to add load to engine. If somebody has a stock pre 2011 Apex and a new 2011 APex, doing a prime/secondary clutch swap would tell you if your making power or not. I'm willing to bet 2011 clutching on an older Apex would pull rpms down considerably. I don't think anybody can deny that the 2011 Apex makes cleaner/more power throughout the rpm range.
Its funny to listen to all the speculation and gossip on all the different dyno numbers from different dyno machines.

Dan

Wait a minute....

kviper said:
If indeed the two sled's were dynoed on different dyno's than comparing the number's means nothing. The rest of the sled's all dynoed low for the shoot out also so i wouldn't get my undies all twisted up over it. I rode a new XTX this morning and i am telling you with all things equal it will stomp an older Apex once broke in with a huge difference in throttle response. I don't care what any one's dyno says i think i will need one next year. kviper

Is it me or am I missing something here?

I've been reading posts about 2011 Apex exhaust, highest HP engines ever tested...so on and so on!

How many times have I heard or read "I won't believe the number unless it is proven by Dynotech, on Jim's dyno"????????????????????

Everyone here is willing to just say "oh well, it happens...dyno's are different"

Sounds like a "whole lotta more bullshit to me"

Was it Hindle who got slammed because many respected people here were claiming "I can't believe his dyno numbers" and "what does he know about running a dyno" and maybe he doesn't even dyno test his stuf...imagine that?

Don't know the guy myself and I'm not defending him directly but suddenly Dynotech is off the hook and everybody here is claiming the 2011 is faster than everyone elses sled, by the "seat of the pants"?

I'm just really friken confused by all of this?????????????

Please, someone...give me some oxygen!

I don't know what or who the hell to believe here???????????????????????????

dirkdiggler said:
B U L L S H I T They are using a different dyno now. All the sleds are showing less power then they did last year. Prime exsample is the etec which also showed 164Hp it's showing less now to.

If your going to post something get your facts strait they didn't use a PC111 they used a Dobeck Box. They used that after they added filters and short stacks. the machine was lean on the bottom. You can't get 10Hp out of a fuel controller. On the old Dyno the apex made 170HP with the Dobeck box, Short stacks and filters.

Take a pill dude!

I don't care what the dyno's say.... its all subjective. Last Feb when everybody was complaining about the small % increase stated by Yamaha.
Out of pure right place right time i was able to ride an Oh so close to production XTX. I think it was early to mid March. I took the sled by my self to the lake and proceeded to ring it out time and time again for 45 minutes.
I've owned a 240 HP turbo rx so i have felt good power before.
I was so impressed with the power for a stock sled i grinning for 3 days.
I posted on this site that mid range was explosive! and that the sled i drove was over 160HP.
Yamaha does not want to start HP wars, nor do they want to give cause for insurance increases in any already tight market.
I have not seen one neg comment about power from this sled and thats coming experience in the real world by guy's like Mike Knapp.
Anything that will run with the new Apex, or beat it won't last nearly as long.

In Canada Yamaha advertises in mags and in showrooms 162+hp's.

Apex-power.jpg

Yamablog wrote:
I went on record last spring as saying the new Apex had around a 5% increase in horsepower and a wider torque curve with no drops… Dynotech has had the opportunity to flash a production unit and heres what they came up with: (you can click to enlarge)… under promise and over deliver?
[/b]

Why are you people so concerned about the HP. It out performs and out handles the old Apex and that's all that really matters. I've ran mine against 5 different Apex's now and it flat out wins in every aspect. The old motor will only pull 140HP on Jim's new dyno so this is pretty easy to figure out.

sx7001 said:
Why are you people so concerned about the HP. It out performs and out handles the old Apex and that's all that really matters. I've ran mine against 5 different Apex's now and it flat out wins in every aspect. The old motor will only pull 140HP on Jim's new dyno so this is pretty easy to figure out.

I guess jim's new dyno is NOT SAE certified. Or is the new one cerified??? Car makers did this for years now they all use a SAE certified hp ratings

SAE International's J1349 Certified Power Standard to rate engines
And a great read here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/06 ... ion-column

sx7001 said:

140 on jim's dyno and you know this how?

sx7001 said:

Becuase when it comes to sleds, hp is important. It's at the top of your lists when someone buys a sled....So why did yamaha rate the old motor at 150 and the nytro at 130 and the vector at 120? So, we should -10 on all of these other sleds as well for hp? This makes no sense at all.... Forget Jim's dyno for a minute here.... I think the big question here, is what does Yamaha think the hp is? I said it once and I will say it again. There is a reason why they did not want to say what the hp was on this motor.

The above advertisement shows what Yamaha was marketing or leading people to believe what the power was. "Buy this sled with 162+hp is what Yamaha were advertising.

SledFreak said:
Forget Jim's dyno for a minute here...
Why forget about the thing that is the obvious key factor of this thread...? The factor that seems to pull everybodys leg...?
Do like me instead. Relax, kick back and understand that we are looking at the dawn of a new era - the old and famous (infamous...?) ten horsepower offset between DynoTech and the rest of the industry is finally gone...!
On a side note, feel free to speculate how this will affect the trustworthiness of people that used to tell you that "they will for sure not listen to any other dyno results that the dyno results released by Dyno Tech"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back