• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Electrical/charging issue....cont

Sno-Xr

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro
First question, Battery is out , should I be getting continuity to ground from any positive wire on the sled? What if the plug is disconnected from the accessorie? Im getting continuity through both sides of the plug that would feed the 12v accessorie plug if the sled had one. Engine running i still get 12v

Last edited:

2nd question....i believe the stator ohms is supposed to be around .23-.26, im getting .5 on all 3 legs. Bad stator? Or is that acceptable? None of them are open

Question 3.....should there be oil on the stator plug contacts when I remove it from The rectifier? Before you ask.....there is zero oil anywhere around the rectifier. Not a drop! Is there supposed to be oil in the rectifier??

The oil is migrating from the engine through the stator wires all the way to the voltage regulator. Oil only in the stator wiring plug on regulator, right? On mine, that oil caused my 20 amp ignition fuse to blow last week. Read thread about it.

I read of this but didnt see how it was possible. Are you saying the oil actually migrated on the inside of the insulated jacket around the actual copper strands? If so, that would make sense, but thats quite a ways to travel

Also, this would mean that the stator housing is filled with oil? Its an oil bathed stator?? If so, i better change my oil more often!! Lol

Especially the oil change thing, right?? Lol. Just started having an electrical issue...battery being drained while running. Roc thinks it could be the starter staying engaged.......considering I put on a new Yami starter relay, def could be defective. Might have to try the old one and see if that changes anything. Also might have to see if the oil in the plug is causing an issue
Thanks for the info

Anyone know how the chassis gets grounded? I can see the ground to the motor, but wondering if I have an issue with the chassis ground

try a set of booster cables from the block to the frame sno-xr. that would tell you if that is your problem.

Thats exactly what i did earlier, but to the chassis not the motor, as the motor ground looks really good. It seemed to work, but my problem hasnt been the most consistant. I made up a new cable from the neg to the chassis and ran it up and down the road a few times and let the sled run a total of about 15 minutes, so that may have done the trick. Thanks Cam ;)!

np lol. have to do this all the time on the old et's when they start running funky. had to do it on a bronco II as well as it would not run at all without the added ground.

stator must be it. too much resistance witch could mean a broken wire in one of the coils. make sure you get a gasket for it when you order a stator.

Would say stator, but will do the same thing randomly with a fully charged battery, even when the stator is unplugged!?!?!

I have seen cracked wires before under the coating so you couldn’t tell until you stripped the wire.

Back