• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Elka Stage 5

Any updated reports? I'm thinking about Elka Stage 2 for my Apex next season.

Last edited:

Any updated reports? I'm thinking about Elka Stage 2 for my Apex next season.

I have ridden a couple times since my initial review. Here are my current thoughts: High quality product that is not quite dialed in yet to the Apex front end. There is a wide range of clicker adjustment with all 3 knobs. I have found that with compression "full soft" I still do not bottom out these things. That tells me that either the springs are too stiff or the compression valving needs to be softened. I will likely re-install my float 2's for the time it will take to send the Elka's back in for re-valving/springing. I would like to see compression knobs about mid way in for the majority of riding and trail conditions I am in and still have adjustability in each direction as needed.

I have not encountered any fade even while running trail 3 at the end of the day Saturday 40 miles into Houghton at 60 mph.

I still like these shocks alot but they need to be "dialed in".

Ran elkays for one year.... Had to rebuild them twice due to the cheap ( not in price) parts made in China
Switched to axis same great ride just more durable.
I hope you have better luck.....when they worked they were great.

the seals where changed in 2014 because of failures, don't know yet if the newer ones hold up better, but at that price, it's a little ridiculus..

I have ridden a couple times since my initial review. Here are my current thoughts: High quality product that is not quite dialed in yet to the Apex front end. There is a wide range of clicker adjustment with all 3 knobs. I have found that with compression "full soft" I still do not bottom out these things. That tells me that either the springs are too stiff or the compression valving needs to be softened. I will likely re-install my float 2's for the time it will take to send the Elka's back in for re-valving/springing. I would like to see compression knobs about mid way in for the majority of riding and trail conditions I am in and still have adjustability in each direction as needed.

I have not encountered any fade even while running trail 3 at the end of the day Saturday 40 miles into Houghton at 60 mph.

I still like these shocks alot but they need to be "dialed in".

Update: After consulting with my suplier of these shocks we decided to go with a softer main spring prior to revalving. Elka promptly sent me a pair of springs. Problem is.... work and life schedules have prohibited me from getting back north to give them a try. Now the temps are warming which will make it even busier at work. I may not have additional feedback on these until next season...

Keep us posted.... Hope you get another ride in this year... We still have five feet and sub zero temps.

Believe my dad has 40lb secondary springs with 150lb main springs on his if that helps

Back