• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

engine break in

connors

Veteran
I just finished breaking in my engine on my 2008 phazer rtx and i was wondering do i have to bring my sled into the dealship for maintenance or can i get a sled mechanic i know to do all the maintenance?i was talking to my dealer yesterday and they said it will cost roughly $200 does this seem abit high? i know they replace the oil filter and change the oil but what eles do they do for $200?

Just picked up my '07 FX from the dealership today from its first service. Had the steering recall done and also its first oil change. Brought in my own oil and they supplied the filter. They charged me 43 cdn and that was the cost of the filter($23) and for labour of the oil change. Not sure what your dealer would do for $200. I find labour rates extreme these days thats why I usually do all my work myself.

change the oil yourself that way you know its done right cost me $40 to do my nytro about to do my girls phazer $200 ?????

I just had this done on my 08 Phazer RTX . Mine also cost around $200 . They change your oil , oil filter , check valves , timing chain , track tension, they went over all my wires, and pretty much checked the whole skidoo . This took about 2 1/2 hours which is pricey during the winter as they are so busy with many other skidoos . So its not just your dealer.

:yam:

Thanks Peter !

I guess all that could be done in 2.5 hrs but man I kind of wonder.Especially checking the valves.

Keep in mind that the dealer charges $80 per hour for shop time. So, if it takes them 2 hours to change the oil, check the track tension and do a bolt check, theres your $200.
Personally, Id do it myself. You are going to be the one riding the sled and you would be wise to get the know the sled inside and out. That way, if you break down in the middle of nowhere (unlikely with a Yamaha, but you never know), you will be more likely to be able to fix it yourself.
Also, if you are taking it to the dealer for every little thing, its going to get real expensive, real fast.
Even if you arent the most skilled mechanic there is, so what? Get yourself a service manual, start reading and learn. None of us are born great mechanics, we all had to learn (and make mistakes along the way).

08PhazerRTX said:
I just had this done on my 08 Phazer RTX . Mine also cost around $200 . They change your oil , oil filter , check valves , timing chain , track tension, they went over all my wires, and pretty much checked the whole skidoo . This took about 2 1/2 hours which is pricey during the winter as they are so busy with many other skidoos . So its not just your dealer.

:yam:

Thanks Peter !

what dealer do you go to in newfoundland becuase we mite be going to the same one. is it atlantic recreation?

well i was just thinking about either doing this myself or bringing it over to my friends house because he know alot about sleds... any advice on things i should make sure i do? or any tips on anything would be great.

I would do it myself to get to know the sled and its going to be a apprentice working on your sled to do the oil change not a mechanic, cause its an easier job and also including the bolt check

08PhazerRTX wrote:

Yamaha Rule

Thanks Peter !

what dealer do you go to in newfoundland becuase we mite be going to the same one. is it atlantic recreation?

well i was just thinking about either doing this myself or bringing it over to my friends house because he know alot about sleds... any advice on things i should make sure i do? or any tips on anything would be great.

sure was atlantic recreation they are a good bunch i would get them to do it for you . they will check over the whole skidoo for you to make sure nothing is going wrong . valves and timing chain i would get them to do if it was me i wouldnt want to get them messed up ! Yea it was Atlantic recreation .... where do you live in NL ?? Im in the Goulds might see ya around the winter !

Thanks Peter !

[/quote]

sure was atlantic recreation they are a good bunch i would get them to do it for you . they will check over the whole skidoo for you to make sure nothing is going wrong . valves and timing chain i would get them to do if it was me i wouldnt want to get them messed up ! Yea it was Atlantic recreation .... where do you live in NL ?? Im in the Goulds might see ya around the winter !

Thanks Peter ![/quote]

yah i live in torbay but you mite see me around. as for the oil change i think im just goin to do it myself and try to save a few bucks . is there anything eles i should do/check for ? thanks

Back